Can player stations build ships out of mixed-race parts?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

user1679

Can player stations build ships out of mixed-race parts?

Post by user1679 » Mon, 13. May 24, 08:54

I've never had a station, mostly I fly around mining and picking fights with Xenon. I decided to start collecting blueprints to build a station for ship production an am wondering if I can build a ship with mixed-race parts at my own station.

I had posted before that I can't save a build at an NPC station and then recall it if the ship contains parts from another race (eg: TEL engines at an ARG station). If I have an ARG ship blueprint and TEL shield blueprint at my own station, can I produce this ARG ship with TEL shields or am I required to build an ARG ship witl all ARG parts? If the answer is "no, you need same-race parts" then I will need to rethink my blueprint collection.

Koizuki

Re: Can player stations build ships out of mixed-race parts?

Post by Koizuki » Mon, 13. May 24, 09:38

Yes, you can build, save, and reload any combination of hull and parts you wish at your own shipyards, provided you have the blueprints. That's the major advantage of building one (aside from selling ships for money.)

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Mon, 13. May 24, 14:39

There is some faction restrictions but overall it is the same result when you build a ship from one race then go to an EQ dock of another.
The best part is templates. Once you configure them to your specification and save it as a template, you no longer have to go trough that painful process. Expect spending money on blueprints a lot! You can buy them from faction representatives.
Last edited by Virtualaughing on Mon, 13. May 24, 20:28, edited 2 times in total.
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 13. May 24, 19:37

The "template" can also be called "saved loadout". A loadout is a list of items. When you apply loadout, the ship gets exactly those items. You can apply a loadout on a station only if that station sells all items on the list. Your station does "sell" all the items that you have blueprints for. Therefore, if you do have blueprints for the "mixed parts", then you can build.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

user1679

Post by user1679 » Mon, 13. May 24, 23:05

Thanks everyone, I was hoping I could do that. Saving / recalling a loadout at an NPC station doesn't work unless all the parts are from that faction and I was afraid it would be the same for the player station.

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Mon, 13. May 24, 23:37

I get it, as it's fun to mix equipment to make the best ship possible, in fact I have done it. I don't anymore because it's personally an immersion kill. When you think these are alien ships using alien technology and alien manufacturing techniques, so how could you switch equipment when the controls, devises, fittings, wiring (if there is any) connections, etc. are all alien? In reality they should be totally incompatible.
If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

Operating System:
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit CPU: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF RAM: 32606 MBytes MBO: Gigabyte Z790 UD AC (U3E1) GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 4080 Trinity OC NVIDIA 16 GB GDDR6 SSD: AJP600M2TB 1907 GB

Koizuki

Post by Koizuki » Tue, 14. May 24, 00:43

surferx wrote:
Mon, 13. May 24, 23:37
I get it, as it's fun to mix equipment to make the best ship possible, in fact I have done it. I don't anymore because it's personally an immersion kill. When you think these are alien ships using alien technology and alien manufacturing techniques, so how could you switch equipment when the controls, devises, fittings, wiring (if there is any) connections, etc. are all alien? In reality they should be totally incompatible.
I'm sure there's a lore reason for it in-game, but it does make sense to me because these are races that, while technically alien to each other, have encountered and dealt with each other for a long enough time now to create building standards precisely for such modularity, and the underlying scientific principles that go into similar tech is probably shared between them in one way or another. And it's not like such separation doesn't exist, either; the Boron are entirely independent here in terms of fitting their tech with other ships. You've also got some minor factions that use a blend of ship techs together.

I get the roleplay reasons though, but in my eyes, we're just another entity/company so we can mix and match whatever we want since we're not representing any particular faction.

user1679

Post by user1679 » Tue, 14. May 24, 04:08

Koizuki wrote:
Tue, 14. May 24, 00:43
surferx wrote:
Mon, 13. May 24, 23:37
I'm sure there's a lore reason for it in-game, but it does make sense to me because these are races that, while technically alien to each other, have encountered and dealt with each other for a long enough time now to create building standards precisely for such modularity, and the underlying scientific principles that go into similar tech is probably shared between them in one way or another. And it's not like such separation doesn't exist, either; the Boron are entirely independent here in terms of fitting their tech with other ships. You've also got some minor factions that use a blend of ship techs together.

I get the roleplay reasons though, but in my eyes, we're just another entity/company so we can mix and match whatever we want since we're not representing any particular faction.
Right, I understand where surferx is coming from, in fact I actually roleplay a slightly more modern geo-political view. In my game, all the factions have existed for thousands of years and are more or less interested in expansion and control. They make allies for convenience and convert them to enemies when needed. But much like tech. today, the parts are interchangeable. Similar to how todays computers can contain a mix of parts from China, Japan, Mexico, etc. yet the various governments have trade wars with each other.

Also, I think the X uinverse would be pretty depressing if all the ships were locked behind proprietary licensing like Apple and forced to only use approved parts / repair centers.

Return to “X4: Foundations”