XBTF misbehaving...

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Inimbrium
x3tc

XBTF misbehaving...

Post by Inimbrium » Mon, 21. Jan 08, 00:44

Several things are't working properly. I got X Gold, XBTF version 1.96

Firstly, and the most annoying are the menus. When I try and select a resource for example and I move the menu down it moves two at a time, and with lag. I have to press up and down rapidly several times before it works properly and even then only a few times before it does it again.

The game menus are slow in general, including the main menu. My pc spec should be more than adequate.

And lastly the throttle in the game doesn't work. My joystick (Sidewinder Precision Pro) works fine. I have to use buttons to change the speed.

PC spec:
Athlon 64 3500+
1GB RAM
RADEON X800XL 256MB
Running XBTF @ 1280x960@85Hz 32Bits. Everything on max. 2xAA
'Ordinary people talk about other people.
Intelliegent people talk about events.
Geniuses talk about ideas.'
-unknown source.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Mon, 21. Jan 08, 00:47

The keypress issue - something to do with "lowpri" or similar, someone here will know...

...the throttle. Unfortunately that's down to Microsoft changing stuff between XBTF's release and now.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Inimbrium
x3tc

Post by Inimbrium » Mon, 21. Jan 08, 00:56

Hmm, after doing a search, I think that the joystick may be at fault with both the throttle and the keyboard repeat thing... But what I read applied to x3 not XBTF... still not that sure what to do
-unknown source.

Dantrithor
x3tc

Post by Dantrithor » Mon, 21. Jan 08, 01:15

Open task manager befoore opening x:btf; execute the game and set priority to lowest. Should fix control lag in it and in XT :-)

Command in XT is -lowpri, but not sure if that works in btf

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 21. Jan 08, 02:47

Inimbrium wrote:Hmm, after doing a search, I think that the joystick may be at fault with both the throttle and the keyboard repeat thing...
No, the threads you found did indeed apply to X³; X-BTF is highly unlikely to have that particular issue. As esd said, the throttle issue is a problem with all joysticks when playing X-BTF under Windows XP. Microsoft changed something and it stopped the throttle from working in the game. As esd also alluded, the keyboard repeat problem should be solved by adding a -lowpri command line option to the game shortcut.

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Mon, 21. Jan 08, 03:26

Joystick throttles in general are noisy and cause glitches. I guess the manufacturers concentrate on the X/Y controls and leave the throttles until last. :wink:

Better to use the keyboard keys for throttle.
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

Inimbrium
x3tc

Post by Inimbrium » Mon, 21. Jan 08, 14:00

The Sidewinder Precision Pro is one of the first digital joysticks and uses optical sensors (infra red doppler perhaps?) so technically any of the axis including the throttle should not have any noise whatsoever, but that doesn't apply to all joysticks of course. Saying that the x y axis have more noise than the throttle cos the stick is quite loose when centered yet the throttle is reasonably stiff, so for me it's the other way round!

Will try the command and if that doesn't work I'll do it in task manager.

Thanks

PS. I'e got the first Sidewinder Precision Pro, the one with green buttons round base and semicircular throttle, not the second one. I've opened it up and on the inside of the base it has the signatures of the development team!!! Easter egg or what?
The stick and throttle don't actually touch the inside, well, apart from the pivots, but there are no contacts, it has optical sensors, much like a ball mouse, and when you move the stick/throttle the sensors don't touch and they move in relation to eachother, and I didn't see them light up, so presumably it's infrared working on some doppler effect princible. No wonder it's still working after 5 years of X-Wing Alliance online play, and countless more hours of every space sim you can think of. I heart Privateer. :roll:
-unknown source.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”