Recovering Marines

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Olerhead

Recovering Marines

Post by Olerhead » Sun, 11. Jan 09, 01:44

I'm new to the game so I'm trying to get a hand on certain things. Namely I've recently discovered boarding actions and while I've learned how to get marines over to the enemy ship using boarding pods (still can't figure out the transporter device) I don't know how to recover them if the ship is destroyed or they decide to evacuate.

Right now I'm looking at several astronauts floating around through space aimlessly and I can't figure out how to retrieve them. How do I go about it? I'm sure I'm missing some obvious, easy way of doing it but I just can't figure it out.

~Lonowski~
x3

Post by ~Lonowski~ » Sun, 11. Jan 09, 02:28

run over them :twisted: ... you'll pick them up in your cargo bay. :wink:
:paranid:~Lonowski~

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Sun, 11. Jan 09, 03:24

Do Nothing.

Marines will automatically make their way back to the ship that launched them once they exit from the target.

p.s. The transporter device has nothing to do with boarding, it's for transfering you and cargo between your ships.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Mustikos
x3tc

Post by Mustikos » Sun, 11. Jan 09, 06:28

You need a M7 or Sikiros to use the boarding pods. I have use a pod yet the M7s start at, $35mil.. or is it $50mil?

The marines will work if you go to the piracy menu and do the board ship command, I recommend getting as close as you can and doing it. Seems they came out the back top of my Dragon so I tried to angle it right to get the closest.

3 times I tried to cap a Xenon K and 3 times they couldn't get through the hull so I picked them back up and reloaded and old save. You want to train the marines to gain a few stars in the skills, either mine weren't skilled enough or the hull couldn't be breached. Keep the sheilds down too on the ship to cap.
I don't kiss @$$, I kick it!
davesgameworld.com

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 11. Jan 09, 08:07

Mustikos wrote:You need a M7 or Sikiros to use the boarding pods. I have use a pod yet the M7s start at, $35mil.. or is it $50mil?
Specifically you need the M7M (missile frigate) to use the pods--"normal" M7s won't work.

Orion1632
x4

Post by Orion1632 » Sun, 11. Jan 09, 09:32

Mustikos wrote:You need a M7 or Sikiros to use the boarding pods. I have use a pod yet the M7s start at, $35mil.. or is it $50mil?
That's why you cap the M7M first ! They are actually quite easy to cap, having only one pitiful rear turret, and hardly any missles on board.

I got a cobra the other night as my 2nd cap, using the HCP which was my first cap, then got the Elephant using boarding pods from the cobra

:-)

This is fun! why spend Millions on capital ships when you can "liberate" them.

amtie
x3tc

Post by amtie » Sun, 11. Jan 09, 11:36

Because you don't want your galactic empire blown to pieces because you capped one of the races ships and they didn't like that.

space pirate

Post by space pirate » Sun, 11. Jan 09, 11:48

amtie wrote:Because you don't want your galactic empire blown to pieces because you capped one of the races ships and they didn't like that.
now now, we all know that's not going to happen, and the rep drop from boarding is minimal (not to mention that they'll pronounce you the savior of everything after you build 2 stations or blow up a few ships for them).

Orion1632
x4

Post by Orion1632 » Sun, 11. Jan 09, 12:32

Yeah, as long as you used the newly liberated ship to kill a few enemies... then all is forgotten.

:)

Tyrant597
x4

Post by Tyrant597 » Tue, 13. Jan 09, 04:36

Tonight my boarding pod was shot up on its way to a Yaki Ryu... out spawn 4 astronauts heading back to my cobra... I pick them up as usual... but they are now passengers instead of marines. =(

Mustikos
x3tc

Post by Mustikos » Sat, 7. Feb 09, 00:11

I'll have to get a cobra and try this... been waiting, anxiously.. since I bought a Panther I've taken several well paying kill-teh-jerk-in-space-somewhere missions and have reached 150 million, most I've had, ever. I think I'm going to buy a Tiger because it has main turrets, whereas the Panther does not.

So they turned into passengers and you cannot use them as marines? I've been training a lot of marines for quite some time, some have 5 stars in more than one skill. I'll have to trial and error it out, attempting cap missions. One thing I realized, though, you can send out a ship to grab your marines if they are not successful, rather than picking them up yourself. I cant believe none of them have a hangar, even for just a couple of fighters. If there's a big ship in the water, wouldn't they launch a smaller craft with marines to board another? The boarding pod is just that, I guess.

At some point, I'm sure I'll veer away from vanilla and modify a ship to hold boarding pods. I'll be fair of course, I never want to ruin my experiences in a game. I still like the idea of marines being able to slowly make repairs and even possibly mod'n the game to allow some ships to make them sacrifice cargo space or a turret to add-on things such as a "boarding pod launcher"
I don't kiss @$$, I kick it!
davesgameworld.com

Squishee
x3tc

Post by Squishee » Sat, 7. Feb 09, 13:22

Get Special Command Software (Correct me if i'm wrong) and it gives you the option in the ships command menu under "Special" to collect astronauts: 3 options of Collect Marines, Collect Ejected pilots or Collect all space suits.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”