X2 Requirements

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

~Lonowski~
x3

Post by ~Lonowski~ » Tue, 3. Dec 02, 03:05

Inimbrium wrote:
The Rock wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
lonowski wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
lonowski wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
cappedup wrote:
Dutchman wrote:
cappedup wrote:
Dutchman wrote:Not that I'm not going to buy X2 anyway :)

Dutchman
Go on tell us why, master..!!
Sorry for the clumsy english cappedup, The_Abyss was right.
I meant that I am going to buy X2 no matter what, X2 rocks.
Oops missed the secont 'not'...

On the performance front, if i for instance had a rubbish card but tons of ram would game performance increase or is the crap card always going to be the weakest link..??
You can put all the RAM you want on it. Once you get to 512MB it will level out. And even if you upgrade from 128MB to 512MB the chances are that it won't improove the framerate (graphics speed) of the game by much. I have 386 MB of PC133 SDRAM, and I am not thinking of ever upgrading it, until I get a new CPU and new faster RAM (DDR 400 or whatever will be out then).

The graphics card is always the weakest link in a computer when you consider games. The CPU is a close second. RAM is kinda far down.

Another thing that most people don't know that will affect your framerate is your sound card. :o Yep. Why? Because if it's a cheap one, then it will use CPU power to emulate the sound effects, and thus slowing the PC down by as much as 30 fps. A good example is Unreal tournament 2003. Enable the framerate counter and experiment with hardware sound enabled and without. Much faster without, if you got a lame sound card and lame drivers.

Drivers is another major factor, especially with new cards, such as my one and the other new Radeons.
I got Direct X 9 beta and DX9 compatible Radeon drivers, not much difference in 3d Mark, infact 100 points less (6850), but the DX9 grahpics demos are perfectly smooth. Almost no CPU usage there at all.

I have my AMD Athlon Thunderbird (200 FSB) CPU overclocked from 1.0 GHz to 1.1 GHz and I 400 more points in 3D Mark (6950 as opposed to 6550). I took my 9700 PRO to a mate's house, shoved it in his 1.4 Thunderbird and without any tweaking whatsoever he for 10100 points lol). I have the Hercules Radeon 9700 Pro overclocked from: 325 MHz Core / 620 MHz RAM to 331 Core / 648 MHz RAM at an increase of 100 points or so. So befire overclocking both my graphics card and CPU I got 6480 points in 3D Mark or so. Quite a healthy performance increase with normal cooling.

Warning! Don't overclock unless you know what you are doing or you can permanently damage (fry / break / annihilate) your hardware.

PS. Quote in a quote in a quote in a quote. :)

sorry, i really just wanted to see how many of these qoutes could fit in a box!!! :lol:
Have you nothing better to do? :roll: :wink:

Can you still get good PCI graphics cards? lol
Dafin, I hope I don't cause trouble at home, but you need a new PC. :twisted: If you somehow manage to convince your dad, you can always ask us for advince on which one. :idea:
nope :D
I've always been curious about what that thing is at the bottom of your posts. That Userstats thing.
someone's about to tell you oh fella Brummie dude. :)
Isn't it something to do with UD (United Devices)? I do that cancer thing if it is.

I wonder how long we can keep quoting until one of the moderators tells us off or closes the topic :lol: ! I'm up for freedom of speech. :roll:
you mist my post man!!! :lol:
:paranid:~Lonowski~

~Lonowski~
x3

Post by ~Lonowski~ » Tue, 3. Dec 02, 03:09

lonowski wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
The Rock wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
lonowski wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
lonowski wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
cappedup wrote:
Dutchman wrote:
cappedup wrote:

Dutchman

On the performance front, if i for instance had a rubbish card but tons of ram would game performance increase or is the crap card always going to be the weakest link..??
You can put all the RAM you want on it. Once you get to 512MB it will level out. And even if you upgrade from 128MB to 512MB the chances are that it won't improove the framerate (graphics speed) of the game by much. I have 386 MB of PC133 SDRAM, and I am not thinking of ever upgrading it, until I get a new CPU and new faster RAM (DDR 400 or whatever will be out then).

The graphics card is always the weakest link in a computer when you consider games. The CPU is a close second. RAM is kinda far down.

Another thing that most people don't know that will affect your framerate is your sound card. :o Yep. Why? Because if it's a cheap one, then it will use CPU power to emulate the sound effects, and thus slowing the PC down by as much as 30 fps. A good example is Unreal tournament 2003. Enable the framerate counter and experiment with hardware sound enabled and without. Much faster without, if you got a lame sound card and lame drivers.

Drivers is another major factor, especially with new cards, such as my one and the other new Radeons.
I got Direct X 9 beta and DX9 compatible Radeon drivers, not much difference in 3d Mark, infact 100 points less (6850), but the DX9 grahpics demos are perfectly smooth. Almost no CPU usage there at all.

I have my AMD Athlon Thunderbird (200 FSB) CPU overclocked from 1.0 GHz to 1.1 GHz and I 400 more points in 3D Mark (6950 as opposed to 6550). I took my 9700 PRO to a mate's house, shoved it in his 1.4 Thunderbird and without any tweaking whatsoever he for 10100 points lol). I have the Hercules Radeon 9700 Pro overclocked from: 325 MHz Core / 620 MHz RAM to 331 Core / 648 MHz RAM at an increase of 100 points or so. So befire overclocking both my graphics card and CPU I got 6480 points in 3D Mark or so. Quite a healthy performance increase with normal cooling.

Warning! Don't overclock unless you know what you are doing or you can permanently damage (fry / break / annihilate) your hardware.

sorry, i really just wanted to see how many of these qoutes could fit in a box!!! :lol:

Dafin, I hope I don't cause trouble at home, but you need a new PC. :twisted: If you somehow manage to convince your dad, you can always ask us for advince on which one. :idea:
I've always been curious about what that thing is at the bottom of your posts. That Userstats thing.
Isn't it something to do with UD (United Devices)? I do that cancer thing if it is.

I wonder how long we can keep quoting until one of the moderators tells us off or closes the topic :lol: ! I'm up for freedom of speech. :roll:
you mist my post man!!! :lol:
soon enough you wont be able to read whats in the center!!!

Inimbrium
x3tc

Post by Inimbrium » Tue, 3. Dec 02, 03:26

lonowski wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
The Rock wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
lonowski wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
lonowski wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
cappedup wrote:
Dutchman wrote:
cappedup wrote:

Dutchman

see here= http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1148

:wink:
Oh! Seti@Home?
I used to do that!
I now do United Devices, and when this finishes (soon), I will go back to Seti@Home, or maybe Aids@Home.
Let me check the website and my account...

...10 minutes later...

These are my stats:
Rank 336)
Name (and URL) U.S.S. PROMETHEUS NX-59650
Results received 349
Total CPU time 4141 hr 21 min
Average CPU time per work unit 11 hr 51 min 58.8 sec
Date Last Result Received Fri Dec 21 10:02:25 2001
Country Romania

PS. As you can see, a :evil: hardcore :evil: Trekkie.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 3. Dec 02, 09:17

As a moderator, I don't care how many sub-sub-quotes you put into your messages. As a user of a 56k modem (with no prospect of broadband anytime in the near future), I object strongly to cluttering up a thread with extra rubbish I have to download oh-so-slowly! :evil:

~Lonowski~
x3

Post by ~Lonowski~ » Tue, 3. Dec 02, 09:45

pjknibbs wrote:As a moderator, I don't care how many sub-sub-quotes you put into your messages. As a user of a 56k modem (with no prospect of broadband anytime in the near future), I object strongly to cluttering up a thread with extra rubbish I have to download oh-so-slowly! :evil:
OK ill stop

:lol:

hedg70
x4

Post by hedg70 » Tue, 3. Dec 02, 17:03

lonowski wrote:
pjknibbs wrote:As a moderator, I don't care how many sub-sub-quotes you put into your messages. As a user of a 56k modem (with no prospect of broadband anytime in the near future), I object strongly to cluttering up a thread with extra rubbish I have to download oh-so-slowly! :evil:
OK ill stop

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hahahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

Inimbrium
x3tc

Post by Inimbrium » Wed, 4. Dec 02, 00:06

*Inimbrium looks at the Quote button. He's thinking. Should he? Or should he not? The button is begging to be pressed. He must resist. Can he do it? Can he fight the temptation? The lust?*
Aaah f:o:ok it!
I'll stop too.
It was fun though. If I knew you had 56k prehaps I would have enjoyed it that bit more. :wink:

Apothos
x3tc

Post by Apothos » Sat, 7. Dec 02, 08:42

sMull wrote:
wargod3000 wrote:Humm, I've got a P3 555, a Radeon Evil Wizard 64 MBI think I"ve got 194 MB of memeory. So, will it work?
The question is not 'will it work' but rather 'how it will work'. Youll be able to run the game but whether it will be with full details or not is a differnet question. Lets wait and see what the official requirements are going to look like.
I just had the beta running on a 450mhz k6-2, with an 8mb ati ragefury II and 512mb sdram - it ran incredibly jerky and unplayable, but it ran. :D

I'm still experimenting to see how much lower i can get it, hehe.

(note. its not the finished version of the game, and this is just for my own amusement and passing on a lil bit of information that may/may not be relevant.)

cappedup
x4

Post by cappedup » Sat, 7. Dec 02, 17:16

Apothos wrote:
sMull wrote:
wargod3000 wrote:Humm, I've got a P3 555, a Radeon Evil Wizard 64 MBI think I"ve got 194 MB of memeory. So, will it work?
The question is not 'will it work' but rather 'how it will work'. Youll be able to run the game but whether it will be with full details or not is a differnet question. Lets wait and see what the official requirements are going to look like.
I just had the beta running on a 450mhz k6-2, with an 8mb ati ragefury II and 512mb sdram - it ran incredibly jerky and unplayable, but it ran. :D

(note. its not the finished version of the game, and this is just for my own amusement and passing on a lil bit of information that may/may not be relevant.)
Well, ill stop toying witht the thoughts of ugrading this notebook thing, and seriousley consider getting a new/decent machine.. thing is its not going to be happy in a dusty caravan in a derelict barn... hmmm /me goes off to think about his options and how important being able to play X2 really is. :x

Anyone want to buy a laptop..?

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm - Winston Churchill

chrishillproduction.com

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 7. Dec 02, 18:16

cappedup wrote:Well, ill stop toying witht the thoughts of ugrading this notebook thing, and seriousley consider getting a new/decent machine.. thing is its not going to be happy in a dusty caravan in a derelict barn... hmmm /me goes off to think about his options and how important being able to play X2 really is. :x
I can't think of anything in a normal PC which would worry much about dust apart from the floppy and CD drive--sure, the heatsinks etc. would get clogged up somewhat quicker than normal, but that would no doubt apply to your laptop as well.

If you want small, you could always get one of those Shuttle micro-PC cases and install the components yourself--Tom's Hardware had one of those running with a GeForce4 Ti4600 and a Pentium 4 2.53GHz and reported no problems!

cappedup
x4

Post by cappedup » Sat, 7. Dec 02, 18:32

pjknibbs wrote: I can't think of anything in a normal PC which would worry much about dust apart from the floppy and CD drive--sure, the heatsinks etc. would get clogged up somewhat quicker than normal, but that would no doubt apply to your laptop as well.
cheers for the reassurance.... :)
hmmmn, i dont know if i'll be able to live with myself knowing everyone has X2 and i cant even run btf....... :shock: some sums needed.
March eh?? :twisted:

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm - Winston Churchill

chrishillproduction.com

Chrisalis
x3

Post by Chrisalis » Sat, 7. Dec 02, 19:50

I've got a GForce 2 and one member of my family my has a GForce 4, and they both work! :) Try.

Apothos
x3tc

Post by Apothos » Tue, 17. Dec 02, 11:26

Apothos wrote:I just had the beta running on a 450mhz k6-2, with an 8mb ati ragefury II and 512mb sdram - it ran incredibly jerky and unplayable, but it ran. :D

Just had it chugging along on a 333mhz Celeron with Hercules Prophet KyroII 64mb, 768mb sdram. \o/

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”