FACTS is upgrading

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Ferd Harling
x2

FACTS is upgrading

Post by Ferd Harling » Sun, 12. Jun 05, 11:35

The FACTS site will be upgraded sometime today, (12, June 2005). Please, if you can not gain access, try again in about 5 mins from the time you 1st tried.

We at FACTS apologise for any inconvenience

Ferd Harling
Commanding Officer FACTS
Ferd Harling
Second IC of FACTS (Free Advice Conquering The Systems)
Please visit us for all your questions, Ideas & To join Click on the Logo below :)
[ external image ]

phleg
x2

Post by phleg » Sun, 12. Jun 05, 12:39

Thanks for letting me know Ferd.

Also remember people FACTS is always looking for new members to join the ranks.

For more information click on the pictures in our signatures.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sun, 12. Jun 05, 13:48

Psst, isn't this Off Topic? :wink:

Good luck on the upgrade :)
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Ferd Harling
x2

Post by Ferd Harling » Sun, 12. Jun 05, 14:30

Thanks "esd", we could do with some luck with all the security upgrades ect. 8)
Ferd Harling
Please visit us for all your questions, Ideas & To join Click on the Logo below :)
[ external image ]

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sun, 12. Jun 05, 15:08

Ferd Harling wrote:Thanks "esd", we could do with some luck with all the security upgrades ect. 8)
Security upgrades, "Ferd"? you having troubles over there or just being pre-emptive?

Ferd Harling
x2

Post by Ferd Harling » Sun, 12. Jun 05, 15:16

It's along the lines of being pre-emptive. A newer version of the board we use has been released, so we are upgrading the entire board.

We don't have probs at FACTS as it is moderated consistantly, That along with being much smaller than Egosoft, we have the time to keep on top of most things that crop up. Not taking away the fantastic job the Ego. mods do! :wink:
Ferd Harling
[ external image ]

nilof
x3

Post by nilof » Sun, 12. Jun 05, 15:37

It got moved at the same time i was entering the thread :o .

By the way, how do you join FACTS ?
{someone didn't observe the rules on signature sizes and lost their signature ;) - CBJ}

Ferd Harling
x2

Post by Ferd Harling » Sun, 12. Jun 05, 15:51

nilof wrote:It got moved at the same time i was entering the thread :o .

By the way, how do you join FACTS ?
You can join by registring on the FACTS boards Then send me a PM at FACTS stating your trade & combat ranks along with if you have completed the plot. :wink:
Ferd Harling
[ external image ]

Ferd Harling
x2

Post by Ferd Harling » Sun, 12. Jun 05, 21:22

I am wondering why this thread was put in "Off Topic" as when "Argonopedia" posted in the "X Universe" they was not moved. After all FACTS is helping X players just like them! :cry:
Ferd Harling
[ external image ]

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Sun, 12. Jun 05, 22:15

FACTS is more of a group, while the argonpedia is just a really useful site... not that you guys aren't useful.... i'm going to shut up

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 12. Jun 05, 23:15

As a membership site rather than a pure information site, I thought it was probably more relevant to members than to a wider audience and therefore belonged off-topic. TMG site status information threads are generally posted here, so it seemed quite reasonable for this one to be here too. In addition to that, being on this forum means the thread will stay on the front page for longer thereby giving your members more of a chance to see it.

That said, if you feel strongly about it I will move it back again. The only condition being that, like any other thread, it should not be "bumped" just to keep it on the front page.

Ferd Harling
x2

Post by Ferd Harling » Mon, 13. Jun 05, 02:12

The work is now completed, so I see little help in moving this thread again.
Ferd Harling
[ external image ]

The_Seeker
x3ap

Post by The_Seeker » Mon, 13. Jun 05, 08:19

Sniperworm wrote:FACTS is more of a group, while the argonpedia is just a really useful site... not that you guys aren't useful.... i'm going to shut up
The Argonopedia is an excellent site. I'm a forum member there myself. It's not so much of one being more helpful than the other as it is a difference in styles. The Argonopedia has put alot of hard work into bringing together a plethora of x-universe related information into one easy to access place. And even though a lot of effort has gone into providing guides and reference material at FACTS, our greatest contribution is the going out and trying to help x-players where they can be found, wherever that may be. Our ultimate goal really is to be of service to the community as a whole. We know we don't have all the answers, but we'll still try to help nontheless.

That said, we have never claimed that in able to contribute positively one must belong to a clan like FACTS. There are many members here at the Egosoft forums that though not FACTS members, comport themselves in the ideal of the FACTS spirit wether they know it or not. Members such as esd, Al, Nanook, TD-13, Brianetta, Nividium, and many, many others (too many to list them all). These are but a few shining examples of Egosoft community members that we at FACTS try to emulate in our own style.

Considering the lull we seem to be going through as we wait for the release for X3, I personally have concentrated my efforts at helping by offering advise to all those who are upgrading or building new computer in preparation for X3. This seems to be a major worry for some. So having quite a bit of experience in the field, this seems to be the best way to help out atm.

On a side note, being a member of FACTS has helped me to avoid acting irresponsibly through the knowledge that my actions would also be reflected back at FACTS. I once became so angry at the flaming going on in a certain thread that I composed a very scathing response to those involved. Had I not been a member of FACTS, I would have just clicked on the submit button and to hell with the consequenses. As a member of FACTS, I re-read the post no less than 20 times before realizing it was way out of line, OTT, and since I wasn't a mod, out of my jurisdiction. I still have a copy of it on my HDD as a reminder of what NOT to act like.

Oh, and please remember, even though our avatars and sigs serve to identify us as a group, we feel that is secondary to the fact that it also serves as a way of saying "We want to help" to any who might be looking for some help.

Hope that helps to understand us a bit. :wink:
Peter Mentrie (1952 - 2005) - In loving memory....

JonHandby
xr

Post by JonHandby » Mon, 13. Jun 05, 13:58

Argonopedia does the same work as facts, in fact we have many people who help support argonopedia here and support other players, just because they don't show their argonopedia signature or have an argonopedia link in their signature doesn't mean they are not part of it.

Having the sprit of Facts isnt something thats new, people have been helping others and gathering answers since the first BtF game, Argonopedia has been running since 2000 with the same goal to help any player that requires it for any purpose.
The only difference between Argonopedia and Facts is how it is run and the amount of information availiable and the format.

Argonopedia has an extensive database frontend, including game data, walkthroughs and FAQ (Argonopedia helped to deisgn the Egosoft FAQ), we have a forum that is used quite heavily and frequented by many people.
We are not run like a clan (well because we are not one), but if people want to 'support' us they are more than welcome to. Argonopedia is run by myself and Brianetta, with many other people supporting, we dont have offical staff just people who help out here and there - and it works for us.
We are mainly a mirror support.

My point being that Argonopedia is more of a resource tool and community whereas Facts is community clan.
We post information into X-Universe because thats where we posted when the community was smaller. We have not posted in X-Universe for a long time because we have not had the need to since we made the site more acessible and implemented the new news system on our front page informing people of work to the site.
Upgrades are performed with as little fuss and as quickly as possible with the community informing us of problems as we go. The Server is rarely in need of downtime (touch wood)...

It works ;)

Because the site is run by 'greenies', we can offer a lot of help, some people who post on 'pedia do so because they have found this forum to be too crowded, with 1719 members and over 22 million hits in the last 12 months at the time of this post we have become a very popular site and naturally bandwidth is a problem.
However we at 'pedia know the game inside out, and I would not like it to become a clan, it would not work - 'pedia is used by a lot of people, and dare is say it is even used by people who make the games.

[edit]
I must also add that work has gone into the Egosoft FAQ not only by Argonopedia members, but also by forum members and (nothing against FACTS here, but) the FAQ should be the first port of call for anyone who needs help.
Last edited by JonHandby on Mon, 13. Jun 05, 15:04, edited 2 times in total.

Merroc
x3tc

Post by Merroc » Mon, 13. Jun 05, 14:02

JonHandby wrote:just because they don't show their argonopedia signature or have an argonopedia link in their signature doesn't mean they are not part of it.
That is one reason i wont join FACTS, having such images in avatar/sig... (iirc i read somewhere in the rules that you have to use em...)

Ferd Harling
x2

Post by Ferd Harling » Mon, 13. Jun 05, 14:31

I agree with most of what JonHandby said, with the exception that FACTS is a clan. We are NOT! we are a group of X players who like to help & also have some fun in the FACTS members area. It has become a "Homely" place & many have said so!

When FACTS is as old as Argonopedia we will, hopefully, have more content. As well as this our web pages are coming soon, all proof reading has now been done, we are just waiting for our web man to put them up & make the pages look good.

We have 218 board members, those that are not "Active Members" do not have the sig. Logo or avatar. So if you want to show your support you can always just sign up as a board member! 8)

I am a great fan of Argonopedia & use it very often! You are doing a good job & FACTS is trying to do the same, but in a diferent way. Please don't take what I have said the wrong way. FACTS is freindly, I insist on that!

PS: The upgrade went well & is now completed! :D
Ferd Harling
[ external image ]

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Mon, 13. Jun 05, 15:24

with the exception that FACTS is a clan. We are NOT!
Um, you have ranks, titles and mandatory "full-fledged-member" banner and avatar rules.
5) All members are required to have a link to this site & our Logo in their sig. Info on how to do this is avaliable in the Member's Room once you have joined
These are the current Ranks
That makes you a clan, sorry dude :)

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Mon, 13. Jun 05, 15:48

esd wrote:
with the exception that FACTS is a clan. We are NOT!
Um, you have ranks, titles and mandatory "full-fledged-member" banner and avatar rules.
5) All members are required to have a link to this site & our Logo in their sig. Info on how to do this is avaliable in the Member's Room once you have joined
These are the current Ranks
That makes you a clan, sorry dude :)
Clan?
The Empire have far better words to describe FACTS ;-) but forum rules prohibit their disclosure on this public forum :-P

The_Seeker
x3ap

Post by The_Seeker » Mon, 13. Jun 05, 15:49

Merroc wrote:That is one reason i wont join FACTS, having such images in avatar/sig... (iirc i read somewhere in the rules that you have to use em...)
LOL! With such a cool avatar and sig, I don't blame you! I do find it flattering that the though of possibly joining us might have even crossed your mind at some point. I take it as compliment of the highest order. :wink:

@JonHandby

I agree with everything you stated, and considering the quality of the Argonopedia both you and Brianetta should be very proud about it. I know I would. I hold nothing but respect for the work you and Brianetta have done with not only the Argonopedia, but also in having helped to shape our community into what it has become today.

As far as the 'Spirit of FACTS' thing, I cannot see a disagreement between what you and I posted. I even went as far as to name a few examples who, as far as I know, have been involved in the community for longer than FACTS has existed. And yet it is this level of contribution that we strive for in FACTS (I even used the word 'emulate'). I guess the best way to describe it is to having set a bar based on these ideals and, amongst ourselves, given it the name 'Spirit of FACTS'. It doesn't mean we invented the ideals or claim ownership of them. That would be absurd. But it does mean it's one of our goals. In light of this I fail to see why some seem to find the term offensive. If anything it's a compliment to those who have come before. There's a quote that I read somewhere that relates to this. I can't recall the quote verbatum so I'll paraphrase as best I can. It says: 'I am a giant only because I stand on the shoulders of those who have preceded me.' I think you can clearly see what I'm trying to say with that.

Our one goal beyond all others is to be able to serve this community in a positive fashion. Much like forum rules and the use of moderators, we have set our members rules and guidelines on how to behave. Just like in forums, sometimes issues arise that require discipline to be meeted out, sometimes even to the point of expulsion (the forum equivalent of banning). We have never 'lorded' our membership over anyone, nor do we have any desire to do so. That's not what our sigs and avatars are about. One of the rationalizations for their requirement is due to the fact that if any one of our members where to ever get out of line, the mods here will know exactly who to report their complaints to, which would enable FACTS leadership to deal with the matter post-haste.

I am very glad you took the time to address my post and would like to thank you for having done so. It has given me the opportunity to address some issues that I've always felt were misunderstood in regards to FACTS. I hope my explanations will go a long way towards clearing up those misunderstandings. :wink:
Peter Mentrie (1952 - 2005) - In loving memory....

Merroc
x3tc

Post by Merroc » Mon, 13. Jun 05, 16:01

The_Seeker wrote:
Merroc wrote:That is one reason i wont join FACTS, having such images in avatar/sig... (iirc i read somewhere in the rules that you have to use em...)
LOL! With such a cool avatar and sig, I don't blame you! I do find it flattering that the though of possibly joining us might have even crossed your mind at some point. I take it as compliment of the highest order. :wink:
Hate to dissapoint you, but i looked at the rules, not because i wanted to join, but out of curosity and the posible 'hey, it might come in handy later' ;)

Return to “Off Topic English”