Alias Cancelled. Threshold Cancelled.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jericho
x2

Alias Cancelled. Threshold Cancelled.

Post by Jericho » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 14:46

Alias will end after it's current season (5).

And Threshold may never even finish showing the filmed episodes. They changed the night it is shown in the US, so naturally that first episode of the new timeslot will get lower figures until people figure out when it is now on. And on the basis of those figures they cancel the show. Madness.

I've only seen a couple of episodes, but it seemed OK, with a couple of quite good characters. A lot of shows have rubbish pilots, but this felt quite polished.

I haven't seen any of season 5 of Alias yet, but as they had to introduce a whole bunch of new agents to cover the fact that Garner is pregnant in real life and in the show, and therefor cannot go around in latex catsuits kicking everyone like usual,
Spoiler
Show
and of course the demise of Vaughn
, then the writing was on the wall. I'll miss Alias.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

MGA
x2

Post by MGA » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 15:34

Not sure about threshold but Alias was never a favourite of mine. It seems to be a disapointing run up to Christmas. One by one, networks are announcing the demise of some well liked shows.
A new rig is in my hands now if only there was time...

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 15:49

Alias for me and the wife, is essential viewing. Always leaves you on the edge of your seat. (I can do without the sister Nadia though). Jack Bristow is a great character, and so is Sloane.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

BOBER
x3

Post by BOBER » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 16:58

They changed the night it is shown in the US, so naturally that first episode of the new timeslot will get lower figures until people figure out when it is now on. And on the basis of those figures they cancel the show. Madness.
Not to sound selfish. But is this going to effect the UK viewers.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 17:05

If they stop making the show, then yes. ;)

As to whether they will show the unaired episodes, I would assume so (in the UK), but the US networks appear to have a habbit of just stopping things dead.

BOBER
x3

Post by BOBER » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 17:22

If they stop making the show, then yes.
Hmm you raise a good point there.
networks appear to have a habbit of just stopping things dead.
Normally in the UK, when a show is going bad, they kill off the cast. Normally in odd ways. Like getting killed by reconstituted cabbage, or by a land shark. But at least they dont stop it dead.

-TD-13-
x3

Post by -TD-13- » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 18:04

As long as the new Battlestar Galactica and Power Rangers SPD are on, I'll be happy.

(and for those who will correct me, yes, I know Power Rangers SPD just finished, great last couple episodes, I'm talking about re-runs at least- Power Rangers Mystic Force doesn't look so hot)

[ external image ]

Everyones Antihero
x3

Post by Everyones Antihero » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 09:20

-TD-13- wrote:
[ external image ]
So thats where Prince William will be doing his military training....
My Artwork show reel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5R1J-_Byek
My website, click gallery for art:
http://www.richarddaborn.co.uk

C777
x3

Post by C777 » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 10:26

Unfortunately, American television executives are about the most short-sighted people on the planet. They only look at numbers, which is why we had the flood of so-called "reality" TV shows. Never cared for any of them.

It was this group of people that canceled the following shows:
Star Trek:The Original Series
V
Battlestar Galactica
Firefly
Space:Above and Beyond

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 12:05

To be fair: "V" was utter rubbish towards the end. But I think that was down to zero budget. It went from being the most expensive TV series ever, to the cheapest.

The amount of stock footage they used rivled Battlestar Galactica and Airwolf.

And at the end, the entire LA resistance was 3 people. They couldn't even afford extras. They killed the cast off one by one.

And the ending of Space Above & Beyond was just horrible, like the ending of Blake's Seven.

fchopin
x3

Post by fchopin » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 12:19

How do you know Threshold is to be canceled?

Can you post a link?
When there are no more games it is time for music.

Tigernuts
x2

Post by Tigernuts » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 14:11

Everyones Antihero wrote:
-TD-13- wrote:
[ external image ]
So thats where Prince William will be doing his military training....
:rofl:

and I'd hate to see the initiation ceremony for those leather/vinyl clad boys
"Men are like steel. When they lose their temper, they lose their worth." - Chuck Norris

[ external image ]

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 14:52

fchopin wrote:How do you know Threshold is to be canceled?

Can you post a link?
http://www.eonline.com/Insider/Boards/f ... forumID=16

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/051124e.php

http://www.trektoday.com/news/241105_03.shtml

Google +threshold +cancelled

Mars Mug
x3tc

Post by Mars Mug » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 15:09

I have stopped watching American series because of this. I am currently watching Lost because nothing else of interest to me is on at the time I watch it, but I have no faith that the series will come to a naturally conclusive end. They will keep the questioning story line going while the viewer rating is high, and then they will either axe it without conclusion, or finish with some dreadfully naff ending.

If they were to produce a series that I know will end because it has been filmed and paid for then I will be willing to watch it, but these are few and far between, I can only think of ‘24’ as an example at the moment.

The way these series keep getting created then axed before a conclusion will ultimately kill off the genre if they are not careful, then it will be a schedule load of ‘reality’ TV that bares no resemblance to reality.

One series that was axed without explanation recently from UK TV was the late evening series ‘The Finisher’, a police investigation type show which I thought was pretty good. It just stopped and was replaced in the schedule with something not so good. Why?

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 15:45

Mars Mug wrote:
If they were to produce a series that I know will end because it has been filmed and paid for then I will be willing to watch it, but these are few and far between, I can only think of ‘24’ as an example at the moment.
I agree with what you say, but even 24 is split in 2. Based on the popularity of the first few episodes, they filmed the second set of 12 for the first season. (I doubt that is the case with the later seasons).

I'm still waiting for them to pull the plug on Galactica, and leave them stranded in space, never finding Earth.

Not that I liked Quantum Leap, but couldn't they have sent him home? And couldn't have Millenium have actually made it to the Millenium?

Tigernuts
x2

Post by Tigernuts » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 15:58

Mars Mug wrote:I have stopped watching American series because of this. I am currently watching Lost because nothing else of interest to me is on at the time I watch it, but I have no faith that the series will come to a naturally conclusive end. They will keep the questioning story line going while the viewer rating is high, and then they will either axe it without conclusion, or finish with some dreadfully naff ending.
HBO seems to be the exception. Each season commissioned in full. For me the stuff it churns out is quite something.

Sopranos, Deadwood, Rome, Carnivale, The Wire, Curb Your Enthusiam, Band Of Brothers
"Men are like steel. When they lose their temper, they lose their worth." - Chuck Norris

[ external image ]

Mars Mug
x3tc

Post by Mars Mug » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 16:21

Tigernuts wrote:
Mars Mug wrote:I have stopped watching American series because of this. I am currently watching Lost because nothing else of interest to me is on at the time I watch it, but I have no faith that the series will come to a naturally conclusive end. They will keep the questioning story line going while the viewer rating is high, and then they will either axe it without conclusion, or finish with some dreadfully naff ending.
HBO seems to be the exception. Each season commissioned in full. For me the stuff it churns out is quite something.

Sopranos, Deadwood, Rome, Carnivale, The Wire, Curb Your Enthusiam, Band Of Brothers
Yes, I would watch those, and have seen the whole of Band Of Brothers. My only difficulty is I only have terrestrial TV at the hotel in Portsmouth which can make watching some of these things a bit difficult. But I agree that there are some series which can be relied on. But on the whole series like Lost where there doesn’t appear to be a pre-determined conclusion will go on for as long as they are successful, they are of course largely about making money for the production companies. However when ratings drop so do the series, and any poor loyal viewers are also dumped on at the same time.

In the UK of course there is often a one series lag so we can be part way through enjoying the first series only to hear as we are now, that the second series gets axed part way through. Is there really any point in my continuing to watch Threshold now?

Did I use the word series too many times? :oops:

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 16:49

Mars Mug wrote: Is there really any point in my continuing to watch Threshold now?
That is just what I was thinking: Do I really want to get to like the characters, only to have them yanked away from me?

fchopin
x3

Post by fchopin » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 23:55

Jericho wrote:
fchopin wrote:How do you know Threshold is to be canceled?

Can you post a link?
http://www.eonline.com/Insider/Boards/f ... forumID=16

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/051124e.php

http://www.trektoday.com/news/241105_03.shtml

Google +threshold +cancelled
Thanks for the info.

Lets hope they are wrong.
When there are no more games it is time for music.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Wed, 30. Nov 05, 12:06

fchopin wrote:
Lets hope they are wrong.
Yeah, I'm hoping it is just false gossip too.

Return to “Off Topic English”