The World Cup Thread

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

tphater
x3tc

Post by tphater » Fri, 16. Jun 06, 16:57

6-0 ouch :shock:
Argentina looks a lot stronger than the rest. A strong competitor for the cup. And they play nice football!( similar to Brazil in their good days)
BTW,in my list of strong contenders i missed Italy. Sure,their gameplay is boring but it's very efficient. Keep in mind,they play to win,not to entretain.
I am the one and only,the indestructible,fear me,cause i have a raging dragon and i'm not affraid to use it!
PAIN,SUFFERING,DEATH,it's all coming!
Terror feeds me,power flows through me,death is my ally!
Join me!
DIE!!!

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Fri, 16. Jun 06, 17:10

I would have said Italy play to entertain, their first game was not so hot, they spent so much time messing about with flicks and back heels and tricks they forgot to get on with it and were nearly caught out a couple of times.
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

mattstint
x4

Post by mattstint » Fri, 16. Jun 06, 17:53

Argentina's second goal was a work of art, one of the best goals I've ever seen. Bear in mind Serbia were poor, if Argie can pull this kinda performance out in every match, the tournament is there for the taking.

Anyway we won! Balls to the performance, we qualified, if you can play badly and win you're doing something right. We WILL get a load more chances against stronger opposition, because they don't dump 11 players deep in their own half, we are deadly on the break!

I honestly hope we get Germany, they struggled to score against Poland, their defense is very shaky, there's not a lot of pace in the team and Michael Bollock is overrated!

Ecuador have extremely pacey players and could overwhelm us with their high tempo game. Don't forget they also beat Brazil recently. Please not Ecuador!

Oh i almost forgot!

Liverpool 2 Trinidad and Tobago 0

We're going to win the Premiership next season! :D
fud wrote:This place is a utopian oasis on the s**t sea that is the internet, and for that, I'm grateful. :)

tphater
x3tc

Post by tphater » Fri, 16. Jun 06, 19:18

Well what can i say,keep the hopes high for England.
BTW Go Cote d'Ivoire! Beat those dutchies!
I am the one and only,the indestructible,fear me,cause i have a raging dragon and i'm not affraid to use it!
Join me!
DIE!!!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 16. Jun 06, 19:55

mattstint wrote: Anyway we won! Balls to the performance, we qualified, if you can play badly and win you're doing something right.
Or you're playing against crap teams... :wink:

tphater
x3tc

Post by tphater » Fri, 16. Jun 06, 20:15

In regards to the Net. VS Iv. Coast(finished 2-1)
[rant]
If these kind of of games continue i'll stop watching for sure. It's clear, the ref. played a huge part in this. There was a clear penalty. And what, only 3 minutes of spare time? Judging by how fragmented the game was it should have been at least 4. Not to mention certain dutch players that deserved some yellow-ish cards and didn't get them. I really feel sory for the african team. They played better all round and deserved a draw. Bad luck AND reckless decisions made by "some white guy" are too hard to counter. I have always been a fan of Netherlands(though i'm a bigger fan of poor known/small teams) but things will change from now on. In fact i'm being a bit harsh because it's not their fault.
The fact is that small teams are disadvantaged and this is shown again and again. And i think i know the reason why. Well, fans~money and the big teams have more fans so one of them being eliminated in favour of a smaller team would be a loss. Now this only can't decide the ending of a match (take for example Poland, when you play that bad, there is no way you'll win) but it can influence it. I'm sick of watching big team vs big team in the advanced rounds but if this continues, that's the only type of game we'll have.
[/rant]
Join me!
DIE!!!

Harlock776
x2

ukraine and spain

Post by Harlock776 » Fri, 16. Jun 06, 20:33

Ok I'm no soccer fan it's just boring to me but I had to wait on a relative in the local clinic recently while they got something done about a flu problem and while sitting there being bored to death there was this tv turned up too loud with the ukraine vs spain match playing only it was on one of those really annoying spanish channels. I was severely bored and there weren't even any magazines there to read so I watched some of the match and noticed that the ukraine got their arse kicked by spain 4 to 0 and it was really awful how bad they were beat. The ukraine started off good with some good field position discipline but spain had them running around in circles in no time and they didn't have an offense really so they just got worn out over time by spains more aggressive and motivated players. Ukraine could have used that against them and kept them running around the field all day and it looked like they did try that at first but their field disipline fell apart so fast and they just got tired running all over the place lol. I can't believe how many beer ads they show on spanish tv channels... every commerical in between the game was either soccer or beer nothing else.

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Sat, 17. Jun 06, 00:03

tphater wrote:In regards to the Net. VS Iv. Coast(finished 2-1)
[rant]
If these kind of of games continue i'll stop watching for sure. It's clear, the ref. played a huge part in this. There was a clear penalty. And what, only 3 minutes of spare time? Judging by how fragmented the game was it should have been at least 4. Not to mention certain dutch players that deserved some yellow-ish cards and didn't get them. I really feel sory for the african team. They played better all round and deserved a draw. Bad luck AND reckless decisions made by "some white guy" are too hard to counter. I have always been a fan of Netherlands(though i'm a bigger fan of poor known/small teams) but things will change from now on. In fact i'm being a bit harsh because it's not their fault.
The fact is that small teams are disadvantaged and this is shown again and again. And i think i know the reason why. Well, fans~money and the big teams have more fans so one of them being eliminated in favour of a smaller team would be a loss. Now this only can't decide the ending of a match (take for example Poland, when you play that bad, there is no way you'll win) but it can influence it. I'm sick of watching big team vs big team in the advanced rounds but if this continues, that's the only type of game we'll have.
[/rant]
What game were you watching, the first half was a duck shoot for the Dutch, who much like the English missed many chances, IVC only ever had breaks that never amounted to anything.

Second half Dutch looked tired, both teams were hanging onto shirts, lots of pulling, IVC never had any decision go badly against them, the ref was harsh but fair.

The IVC has a good 20min in the second half but the dutch came back and should have scored. The last mins were like any game as the losing side threw everything up.

The Dutch were by far the better side and won the game.

Now Argentina that will be a story...

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sat, 17. Jun 06, 03:00

Hey,

If you’re looking for World Cup football-type desktops – there’s no shortage of brilliant pictures at:
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/p ... index.html

I just love this Brazilian fan’s smile - she fairly lights up my PC.. :D :thumb_up:
[ external image ]

- Argentina look like the team to beat..!! :o
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Sat, 17. Jun 06, 07:41

BugMeister wrote:Hey,

If you’re looking for World Cup football-type desktops – there’s no shortage of brilliant pictures at:
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/p ... index.html
Obviously the English fans aren't terribly photogenic - I counted 2 photos out of 300!

@tphater - if you're looking for conspiracy theories, start with that one!
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

tphater
x3tc

Post by tphater » Sat, 17. Jun 06, 09:18

Well in the second half IVC dominated completely.
In the first you had like 3 chances,2 goals. :P Sure,luck has gotta count for something but cmon... Anyway,i was mainly reffering to the ref. that made some grosse mistakes in Netherland's favour. Considering the not given penalty it should have been a draw.
Join me!
DIE!!!

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sat, 17. Jun 06, 10:30

tphater wrote:Considering the not given penalty it should have been a draw.
Which he evened out by not giving a penalty to Holland when replays showed there should have been one. In footbal, the team that scores most goals, wins. If you argue about who, in your opinion, shoud have won, go follow ice dancing!
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

tphater
x3tc

Post by tphater » Sat, 17. Jun 06, 12:43

:roll: I don't recall such thing. I watched the analysis and no,there was no talk about dutch penalty. Obviously the score is what matters but a cripled by the ref score matters less.
Join me!
DIE!!!

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Sat, 17. Jun 06, 17:19

So your talking about every football game every played!!! Wow

tphater
x3tc

Post by tphater » Sat, 17. Jun 06, 17:41

muppetts wrote:So your talking about every football game every played!!! Wow
No, i'm talking about the games in this WCT. :roll: (though there were cases in the past,but they are better left burried)

Case closed. Let it rest. :) The world is far from perfect and we'll have to live with these irregularities(that are considered as such or not depending on the person).
P.S.
Vacation couldn't have come at any better time than this. The first time I'll be able to see all games. :D

Go Ghana,go!!! You can do it!!
Join me!
DIE!!!

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sat, 17. Jun 06, 19:28

tphater wrote:Go Ghana,go!!! You can do it!!
Indeed, 1-0 and a man up. Just missed the penalty though. I hope it's not costly. For all the good football, what the tournament hasn't had yet are any big shocks, I want to see a big team or two really sweating in the final round of group games. I fancy Portugal and Angola to do away with Mexico, and if Ghana can hold on, the Czech republic going home early.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

tphater
x3tc

Post by tphater » Sat, 17. Jun 06, 20:05

2-0 finished.
GG Ghana. The Czechs will now need USA's help LOL :P
USA needs not to loose with either Italy or Ghana otherwise the Czechs are out. If the USA beats(or makes draw) one of the teams mentioned, the Czech republic will have to beat Italy.
Ghana passed well, surprisingly well however they really need to work on their finishing because you don't get 10 alone with the keeper chances everyday.
The Czech goalkeeper might very well be the man of the match. The ghanish keeper also did some nice saves in the last minutes. Great match though a little bit one sided.

BTW,after seeing this,i'll retract my claims posted in this thread conserning the corectitude since at this game i'd say Ghana was quite advantaged by the refs.
Guess the arbitration is poor in general and all mistackes are without intension. :P
Join me!
DIE!!!

The_Rock
x2

Post by The_Rock » Sat, 17. Jun 06, 21:37

tphater wrote:2-0 finished.
GG Ghana. The Czechs will now need USA's help LOL :P
USA needs not to loose with either Italy or Ghana otherwise the Czechs are out. If the USA beats(or makes draw) one of the teams mentioned, the Czech republic will have to beat Italy.
Ghana passed well, surprisingly well however they really need to work on their finishing because you don't get 10 alone with the keeper chances everyday.
The Czech goalkeeper might very well be the man of the match. The ghanish keeper also did some nice saves in the last minutes. Great match though a little bit one sided.

BTW,after seeing this,i'll retract my claims posted in this thread conserning the corectitude since at this game i'd say Ghana was quite advantaged by the refs.
Guess the arbitration is poor in general and all mistackes are without intension. :P
and Italy's game look to be a lot more exciting too.:)

damn i hate to be in that particular group..

mattstint
x4

Post by mattstint » Sat, 17. Jun 06, 21:47

The refs having a laugh
fud wrote:This place is a utopian oasis on the s**t sea that is the internet, and for that, I'm grateful. :)

The_Rock
x2

Post by The_Rock » Sat, 17. Jun 06, 21:55

mattstint wrote:The refs having a laugh
Rock would concur with the above statement. :roll:

Return to “Off Topic English”