News: cappedup cuts finger!

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

cappedup
x4

News: cappedup cuts finger!

Post by cappedup » Wed, 30. Mar 11, 18:51

How do?

Ive been absent for a while, apologies. Ever been so busy you struggle to find the time to piss? You know you need to slow down when the time spent getting rid of bodily waste is negotiable as possible extra work time.

Anyway, I nearly chopped my finger off yesterday cos I was rushing, so I had a word with myself. I was scarfing out a bit wood so it would fit around a weld at the bottom of a spiral staircase (the stairs had bust and i had to weld up a bracket, then fit the bit of wood back to it, around the weld), the knife blade snapped and it drove itself into my finger. It would have gone a lot further but it hit that hard boney bit in the centre. Ive been cutting and fitting bits of wood for money for 21 years, I know far better than to try and carve a round hole with what amounts to a razor sharp snappable blade. I swore, went quiet, looked at it, nearly fainted, got in the van and drove to Le A+E. (i'm En France). Lots of ooh, la la's, and knowing looks. The doctor injected about a bucket full of anaesthetic into it, which hurt 10 times more than nearly removing it myself. Finally it was numb and he crafted a few stitches into it. Ive lost some of the nerves to the end, there is a chance they can be joined back together, but im not hopeful. I got a nerve in my thumb put back together after some dish washing went wrong. but that was my thumb, they pulled out the stops, all of em.

So, after having a word with myself about using the wrong tool for the job I thought 'i've also been neglecting the forum'. Lots has happened to me since i last actively lurked.

I got married! Anyone who knows me also knows that's the biggest news since Frank Bough got caught in a cupboard with an orange in his mouth. Will it lead to kids? Will it b******s. My NY girlfriend is now my NY wife! I'm hopping backwards and forwards doing TV jobs and buying a country house upstate of NYC. Not a bad scene I know.

The other news is that the Barn is For Sale!.. There were a few people here who have pretended to be interested in how it was coming together over the last 10 years, so I thought it only fair to announce the news. I'm never here. It breaks my heart to sell it, but it's like owning a car that is inside a locked garage. And you could use the money to buy a car you can actually drive. Also, now its finished ive realised that the whole barn thing was all about if i could do it. now ive proved that, i need to go on and do something else. So the house in NY needs my energy. It comes with 3 acres of woods and is on a reservoir. I have plans to start a boat building workshop. Alongside my plans to start a US TV company, and many other things like building the best treehouse you have ever seen.. But building a couple of wooden floating craft a year cant be that hard (no comments about using the correct tools please!)..

My wife wants to be mayor of the county. I like her for her ambition and enthusiasm.

Oh, I ordered the wrong air filter for the van. And only realised after spending 10 minutes wrestling the old one out. Right, I think i'm scraping the news barrel now. (oil filter was fine, and im waiting until ive got the right tools to change the fuel filter)

Right, i'm driving to Calais tomorrow, then drop the van off at the workshop, then do errands, then get the train to Heathrow, then fly to NY. I'm slightly concerned about relying on certain methods of public transport when i'm trying to get a flight that doesn't hang around if you're late (ive seen the programs).. Guess I slow down after that.

Thanks for being interested, if you were. As the mayor of California says: "Get out!" or something.

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm - Winston Churchill

chrishillproduction.com

Apothos
x3tc

Post by Apothos » Wed, 30. Mar 11, 19:02

Your barn turned out really well. I remember reading your old posts when it wasn't even close to completion, what a great job you did of it. I know it's rude to ask so feel free not to answer, but overall would that be a healthy profit?

It's always nice to see more 06 Nov, 2002 people around this place. ;)

And congratulations on getting married. :)

Oh, and i liked the "the Limousin area of France is often referred to as "the French Lake District,"" makes it sound more like home, haha.

cappedup
x4

Post by cappedup » Wed, 30. Mar 11, 19:15

Apothos wrote:Your barn turned out really well. I remember reading your old posts when it wasn't even close to completion, what a great job you did of it. I know it's rude to ask so feel free not to answer, but overall would that be a healthy profit?

It's always nice to see more 06 Nov, 2002 people around this place. ;)

And congratulations on getting married. :)

Oh, and i liked the "the Limousin area of France is often referred to as "the French Lake District,"" makes it sound more like home, haha.
Don't mind any questions. Yes, its a good profit, in a sense. I bought the barn and land for £11k. Spent maybe £60k in materials and loan payments, actually probably £70k. And its for sale at £170k. So its £90k in my bank account, but also 10 years of my life. Which I don't count but others might. Like if I divided the profit by how long it took, it would be a rubbish wage.

I like to look at it as 90k in my bank account! Which is the only pension i'm every likely to have so its not like i can go buy stuff. Abyss will tell me off for not doing the right thing i'm sure, but as i understand it, he aint here :)

It really is a bit like the Lakes here. All trees, lakes and old women.

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm - Winston Churchill

chrishillproduction.com

xalien
x4

Post by xalien » Wed, 30. Mar 11, 20:04

I nearly chopped my finger off
"Nearly" doesn't count, go back and do it right. You can do what I did - use a circular saw, works like a charm :roll:

silentWitness
x3tc

Post by silentWitness » Wed, 30. Mar 11, 20:05

Why not keep it and rent it as a holiday cottage?

If you don't have a loan on it any more then you should keep it... It's in the centre of wine country... You could get an agency to rent it out if you don't want the hassle...

Land in Europe is constantly going up in price... if you sell you'll never be able to buy something like that again...

Congratulations on the wedding... Do what your wife says... well done! ;)

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Wed, 30. Mar 11, 20:24

OH NO not another immigrent :P :wink:
Welcome to the melting pot .
Good skiing in Up state NY . CBJ will be jealous .

Selling the Barn ? I'll have to tell the travel agent I know that it's no longer available .Not knowing wht new owners intention are .
I made a few brochures up from the website and gave them to her plus the link .

Still can't bring yourself todo that final bit to become a full Yakuza member ?
Hope your finger heals well.

Congrats on the marrage and blessings.

If the tv thing works out you'll have to make a show archive link at least.

PS: A poke at my Quebec friends . If you find the time ,you could do a weekend trip to the east side of Quebec and teach them how French is actually spoken .

cappedup
x4

Post by cappedup » Wed, 30. Mar 11, 20:58

silentWitness wrote:Why not keep it and rent it as a holiday cottage?

If you don't have a loan on it any more then you should keep it... It's in the centre of wine country... You could get an agency to rent it out if you don't want the hassle...

Land in Europe is constantly going up in price... if you sell you'll never be able to buy something like that again...

Congratulations on the wedding... Do what your wife says... well done! ;)
Hi SW. Its been successfully renting as a holiday home for 2 years. Problem is, it doesn't make a whole stack of cash and does consume time and energy. Which i now need to give to the new project on a different continent. There isnt enough of a holiday cottage scene here to support rental agencies. If there were i would actually lose money by paying them. Its not wine country here. (i might have noticed that if it were :)) Its tree growing and cow farming country. Limousin Beef is quite famous. The ground is so fertile trees grow at a phenomenal rate and lumber is a big trade. So is hydro electric power, with the lakes around the place.

It has got a small loan on it, which at the least is annoying, at most makes it essential that it rents out - which is starting to get tiresome.

I really have thought it through. I wouldnt spend 10 years of my life on something to throw it away without a thought. I am selling AND i am finding somewhere like it again, only better.

The NY scene i have lined up is far more exciting :)

chrishillproduction.com

silentWitness
x3tc

Post by silentWitness » Wed, 30. Mar 11, 21:15

I sometimes forget... Here in Australia we say 'It's only 300k away...' where as in Europe you say 'oh my god it's 300k away'.

Well it sounds like you've got it all planned out. NY state is very leafy and nice! Some beautiful little towns! I'm sure you could find a nice farm with outbuildings perfect for a studio... or even perhaps... an abandoned airfield? :wink:

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Wed, 30. Mar 11, 21:23

Congratulations on getting tied down!

It was reassuring to hear of another "CappedUp Tries To Maim Himself In Yet More Weird And Wonderful Ways" it's been far too long. It used to be a staple here that every few weeks you'd come in with something gone wrong...

Good luck for your future plans, god knows you've got enough going to keep you busy for the new 10 years...

mbthegreat
x3tc

Post by mbthegreat » Wed, 30. Mar 11, 21:26

Does this mean the website will go down? Cos you're one of my best customers you know, remind me that you owe me money and everything. Speaking of which....

|M|
x4

Post by |M| » Wed, 30. Mar 11, 22:50

'Grats on everything...ya feckin' eejit. ;)

Guess your TV company will be a making stuff from stuff and removing minor limbs in interesting manners? In front of the camera for cappedup, or hidden behind it with a hammer, saw and disturbing grin?

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Thu, 31. Mar 11, 04:13

Does CappedUp injuring himself count as news? :)

Congrats on the wedding! Married life is great.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

cappedup
x4

Post by cappedup » Thu, 31. Mar 11, 10:14

Does CappedUp injuring himself count as news?
It kinda used to. When i was building here, it was more common than it is now. Skiing and crashing cars had more to play with it than industrial accidents.

@mb I thought I was paid up until 2020 or something :) website not going anywhere in a hurry, well until it sells, then there is a chance the new owners will take it on, if they decide to rent the place.

SW, we've bought the perfect little spot next to a reservoir, with a bunch of woods, off any track, beaten or otherwise. Just need to build the workshop i'm gonna build boats in. Might not be this year. Although distubing news is that the authorities may only allow metal boats on it. due to some possible bug infestation with wooden boats. Needs more digging.

Ok, here goes a silly amount of travel, three countries, 3 land masses, two continents, 6 different modes of transport. I know, i know, thats nipping out for a pint of milk in some places.

chrishillproduction.com

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Thu, 31. Mar 11, 10:27

Congratulations! I wish you and your wife the best!

Your Barn thread was one of the best threads in 'OT' for so long, it was a real journey when you finally finished.

So here is what I propose, start a New Home thread! Lets see some pictures of the grounds, make it a kind of visual blog, boat house, projects etc.

Good luck with the sale!
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

MGA
x2

Post by MGA » Thu, 31. Mar 11, 11:27

Too bad for your accident. Still at least that barn's looking good, well done.
A new rig is in my hands now if only there was time...

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 31. Mar 11, 12:51

I've done that - rushed at something and not used the right tool - it always ends badly ;)

Congratulations on the wedding and the move to the US. I hope you'll still pop by ...
A flower?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 31. Mar 11, 14:21

Congratulations all round, it seems! (Including for the accident--I know it's an odd thing to say, but you're the luckiest person I've ever heard of; you somehow manage to do all these horrible things to yourself and yet you're still alive and (relatively) fit and healthy! :-)).

cappedup
x4

Post by cappedup » Fri, 1. Apr 11, 17:23

pjknibbs wrote:Congratulations all round, it seems! (Including for the accident--I know it's an odd thing to say, but you're the luckiest person I've ever heard of; you somehow manage to do all these horrible things to yourself and yet you're still alive and (relatively) fit and healthy! :-)).
Cheers, i know what you mean. I do consider myself lucky to be still roughly in one piece. And im far more careful nowadays. well i try to be :)

I did fall of a truck which was delivering steel late last year, the bit i was climbing up was greasy and i didnt give the 'jump' enough gusto. Fell on my back and it hurt for weeks. That and the finger are the only things in about 18 months, pretty good really.

7 forms of transport turned into 8 as the tubes ran into trouble, It went as follows:

Van from barn to tunnel (1)
Tunnel to uk (2)
Park van at workshop
Push bike into town to post some stuff (3)
Train to London (4)
Tube to airport (5)
Tube broken, jumped in cab (6)
Plane to US (7)
Bus into Manhatten (8)
Cab to apt, but i did a cab in the UK.

I know there are three trains in there, but three very different type of train. John Candy wouldnt have counted it as three, but I do :)

Muppet, good idea. I'll show some pics of the new house after the weekend.

chrishillproduction.com

amtct
x3ap

Post by amtct » Fri, 1. Apr 11, 17:51

pjknibbs wrote:Congratulations all round, it seems! (Including for the accident--I know it's an odd thing to say, but you're the luckiest person I've ever heard of; you somehow manage to do all these horrible things to yourself and yet you're still alive and (relatively) fit and healthy! :-)).
And you're only talking about the marriage part :lol:

mbthegreat
x3tc

Post by mbthegreat » Fri, 1. Apr 11, 18:04

cappedup wrote:@mb I thought I was paid up until 2020 or something :) website not going anywhere in a hurry, well until it sells, then there is a chance the new owners will take it on, if they decide to rent the place.
You're paid up for another 12 months from now ish.

Return to “Off Topic English”