...So we have this report that crazed protesters are destroying London

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

philip_hughes
x3tc

...So we have this report that crazed protesters are destroying London

Post by philip_hughes » Sun, 7. Aug 11, 14:50

Thought I'd check with the forum dwellers.

1. Are there massive riots over there?

2. Is everyone ok?
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 7. Aug 11, 14:53

I'm not too clued up, but Guardian Reporter Paul Lewis was cycling around reporting it live over twitter. I didn't read all his tweets, but he seems to be giving a good account, follow him on twitter - PaulLewis and look through his tweets last night.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Sir Crashalot
x4

Post by Sir Crashalot » Sun, 7. Aug 11, 15:03

It was 2-300 people burning buildings,cars and looting shops. Whether anyone was in those buildings is unknown.

It started out as a protest about the shooting of a black guy (a known "gangsta" who had a gun and shot at them) by the police a couple of days ago. Then the freeloaders and idiots joined in so they can have the riots they love so much and freebies looted from stores.
Last edited by Sir Crashalot on Sun, 7. Aug 11, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
If you can`t dazzle them with dynamics, then baffle them with bullsh*t :D

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sun, 7. Aug 11, 15:04

they just closed all the youth clubs, and the Gov is contemplating even more cuts..
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/video ... ures-video

young people are just fed up - struggling from day to day, only to be crushed by authority..

things like this flare up, but they can be avoided with sensitive governance..
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 7. Aug 11, 15:23

So Bugmeister, do you really think the Coalition are responsible for the riot?

I do appreciate you are not a fan of the Conservatives, but this may be stretching things just a little.

I chuckle when I read your posts, I think the Tories are your equivalent of Persia/Iran's British Empire.

I know you are normally very objective and balanced in your political debating, but I feel perhaps you may just be looking at this one a teeny weeny bit askance... :P

I just hope this is the end of it, and the Police get the right balance tonight, should it be necessary; the local MP said they were too slow to react and too soft last night.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Sir Crashalot
x4

Post by Sir Crashalot » Sun, 7. Aug 11, 15:31

The Guardian has a political agenda and is as good as the Daily Mail for twisting facts. :roll:

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 7. Aug 11, 15:34

Given the reports of what seems to be very organised looting, I suspect this may have started as a legitimate protest then been rapidly overtaken by people wanting to have a fight and others wanting to steal under the cover of the violence.
Then again, if there weren't any problems that needed adressing, that situation wouldn't have emerged.
We live in a society where the rich are instantly compensated for hard times, while the poor face punishment for daring to be unemployed. That is a pretty serious issue.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sun, 7. Aug 11, 15:37

Happy, it's in a different part of London to where I live (about 8 miles away) so it's cool here. As far as I can tell the entire thing is some idiots spoiling for a fight.

EliteM3
x3tc

Post by EliteM3 » Sun, 7. Aug 11, 15:42

Yeah, Riots are in my country too!
But not in my city I think

anyways I'm fine, thats all what I want to feel

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sun, 7. Aug 11, 15:47

According to the London Evening Standard an unidentified eyewitness
claims the man was dragged from the car by police, pinned to the ground
and had four bullets put in him when he was down.

If this is true, and it's far too soon to tell, that that's not a shootout but
a police execution. No wonder they are rioting.

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Sun, 7. Aug 11, 15:49

Why there was no outrage and riots after they've killed Ian Tomlinson?
Because... white men can't jump? (for their own)
Here's to the oppressed French youth in the banlieues!

"Most likely, anarchists." the police will say. Hoodies, beware!
A good occasion to loot some stores and set them on fire.
They could've chosen more expensive ones though...

Just saying. Don't throw, you know, rocks.
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against Principalities, against Powers,
against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 7. Aug 11, 15:51

brucewarren wrote:According to the London Evening Standard an unidentified eyewitness

Frankly that sounds like utter nonsense, something from a movie, not the UK.

To my knowledge, the only time police are instructed to aim for the head is when the suspect is beleived to have an explosive vest on. In which case they are to fire without hesitation. That's what caused that whole stink when they chased down and killed that south american guy.

Sir Crashalot
x4

Post by Sir Crashalot » Sun, 7. Aug 11, 15:56

brucewarren wrote:According to the London Evening Standard an unidentified eyewitness

It's newspapers that print unsubstantiated nonsense like that who are responsible for spreading hatred and causing riots. Will they be held responsible if that little story causes more trouble?

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sun, 7. Aug 11, 15:56

Complete rubbish.

Alee Enn
x4

Post by Alee Enn » Sun, 7. Aug 11, 16:04

To those saying this is rubbish or from a movie ... look up how the L.A. riots started.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Los_Angeles_riots
Last edited by Alee Enn on Sun, 7. Aug 11, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly "Alien Tech Inc."

amtct
x3ap

Post by amtct » Sun, 7. Aug 11, 16:04

mrbadger wrote:Frankly that sounds like utter nonsense, something from a movie, not the UK.

To my knowledge, the only time police are instructed to aim for the head is when the suspect is beleived to have an explosive vest on. In which case they are to fire without hesitation. That's what caused that whole stink when they chased down and killed that south american guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOI9ahGxMfk :P

logan86
x3tc

Post by logan86 » Sun, 7. Aug 11, 16:10

Clearly it wasn't any kind of police execution. He was some gangster who resisted arrest and shot at the police, clearly a very dangerous individual. How anyone can have any sympathy for him (apart from his family obviously) is beyond me. As for the riots it's quite clear that the local idiots can't be trusted to not go crazy and loot shops and burn down buildings as soon as there is even any indication of police weakness. It's a real shame.

Unforunately this is the kind of situation that makes me think that the poor black communities who are so proud of their culture and their togetherness are actually just full of criminals and animals who aren't to be trusted, just like the white, right wing, old fashioned view would suggest. Obviously that's not true, and it probably isn't representative of most of the members of that community. But still it doesn't do well for white/black relations when they do all of that over a dangerous criminal being shot, in self defense.

But once again I'm sure that it isn't that clear in reality. Many of the criminals and looters were probably white, and many probably didn't even live in the local area. An event like that would attract troublemakers of all different backgrounds from miles around. But on the face of it this is really bad for the local black community, and god knows who's going to fit the bill for all of that damage to homes and property.

Also check out these interesting pictures and articles...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14434552

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14435251

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14434318
amtct wrote:If I hit a person once or twice is called instant death

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Sun, 7. Aug 11, 16:17

BugMeister wrote:they just closed all the youth clubs, and the Gov is contemplating even more cuts..

young people are just fed up - struggling from day to day, only to be crushed by authority..

If you are suggesting that closing a few youth centres should lead these people to reverting to behaving like animals then you are either doing the youth of totenham a huge diservice or they need to be humainly put down frankly.

I also hate the way some factions have to try and make party political ground out of everything.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 7. Aug 11, 16:36

Wrong country, In the US all police are armed, in the UK only certain police are.

Edit: wow, after a little googling I'm somewhat surprised at how often american police shoot and kill people by accident.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 7. Aug 11, 17:17

BugMeister wrote:they just closed all the youth clubs, and the Gov is contemplating even more cuts..

There was no youth club where I grew up. There wasn't a park either. There was a field or two, with cows. There was the main road. There was a cul-de-sac.

How on earth did I avoid stabbing people with a kitchen knife or becoming a criminal as no-one gave me entertainment I do not know!! :o :roll:

People, even young adults, teenagers and younger - are responsible for their own actions. Don't lay the fault for their behaviour at anyone other than their own feet. Don't excuse their behaviour, or try to explain it, by saying "it's not their fault because..."

I am disappointed by the Police though. They look scared to take more decisive action against the hardcore element that turned up (the photos seemed to show that they were predominantly white teenage boys - although there were only a handful of photos), which in turn allowed it to grow into a larger outburst. One assumes that unless they police in force tonight, disturbances will continue as they are emboldened by the outcome of last night.

I also wish they'd stop calling it looting. Call it burglary.

Return to “Off Topic English”