AP Community Project [Released]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

eMYNOCK
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by eMYNOCK » Tue, 9. Oct 12, 18:38

DrBullwinkle wrote:The Hovis race in Freelancer was a lot of fun.

For those who have not played it, the player had to race a retired ex-military guy named Hovis. If you could be Hovis, then he would help you on a mission.

To make the race more "interesting", missile towers took shots at the player during the race. :)

Hovis flew a souped-up M5 equivalent and was difficult to beat in a straight race. However, he always missed one of the turns. So a patient player -- flying precisely but not at top speed -- could win.

I have no clue whether such a thing could be done in X3. Any competing NPC would need super-tuned rudder, of course. But I don't know if it would work even with that.
X3 NPC would not be able to reach even the first checkpoint...

BTW: I once won the said race in a freighter :roll:
MynoCorp Technologies - We build it, you're stuck with it.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Tue, 9. Oct 12, 18:42

eMYNOCK wrote:BTW: I once won the said race in a freighter :roll:
Me, too! A Rhino, if I recall correctly. The key was to NOT use the cruise drive (and do not miss any gates).

So it sounds as though X3 could only do it as a time trial. Maybe that's OK, too, if it works. Just write a different story for it.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 9. Oct 12, 19:00

Ok we have some interest :D

Like KJ said the track flying in it is impossible, both because of the things already said but also because i've made it small... VERY small. It's made to fit an asp (narrowest ship I could find). It's not just about speed but also technique, a lot of the track requires you to slow down to under 60 (100 if your awesome).
There are lots of full throttle moments, but they are really hairy because one slip of the finger, and boom.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 9. Oct 12, 20:48

EmperorJon wrote:EJ Think Idea 1 - Find Suitable Sector
An ingame XUFQ. :D :thumb_up:
Killjaeden wrote:NPC racing through that course is impossible, end of story.
If it's really just a race run by the player, it shouldn't be that hard to implement.

I would like to come back to the story development though. The more I think about it the more I like Killjaeden's and eldyranx3's idea posted here. Regarding the strange installation and the story that evolves around it: I think this would be a good point to use videos as additional narrative tool again. All X games up to and including X3R had videos, just X3TC and AP do without those. However, the function to play videos is still there and even accessible with the MD (see the congratulations video, which is played at the end of some plots).
Now I know that we cannot do any really fancy stuff like showing a planet with buildings on them or the like (see X2 and X3R), this would certainly break the mould. However, I think it would also suffice, if we simply use ingame footage and present it as recording from this strange installation. This could be ships approaching the installation, something is happening around the station or something the like. As for presenting it, within the story the Split scientist tries to research the installation and step by step after the player has done some missions, the videos could be unlocked. Or the installation itself somehow tries to communicate with the player with the help of these videos.

Things that could be told via the plot in the videos:

A visit by the Terraformers/Xenon, which merged their consciousness with the installation. First video: a single Xenon is approaching the installation. Second video: the sector is filled with smaller and bigger Xenon ships, they built a swathe and a CPU ships arrives. Third video: The CPU ship approaches the installation, stops just infront of it and starts a data transfer. The view on the CPU ship fades out and is replaced with a screen of binary code.

or

Something similar with the Khaak, e.g. showing their disappearance from the universe (as suggested already). So the videos show the Khaak finding that sector and building own stations in them. Then they form up around the station and vanish finally with a bright jump event (flash).

or

Extinction of the race that built that strange installation in the first place. A first video could show the sector all in peace with some additional installations and ships (maybe the one the player will later also get as reward). A second video shows the first appearence of an evil race (Khaak, Xenon, whatever). A third video shows the destruction of the sector and its installations and ships (except for the one the player just found).

(Of course it doesn't have to be three videos, but could also be more or less, whereby file size might be something that should be taken into account.)

As to what I posted here. The whole scenario could also be used as a background event that happens in parallel to the actual plot. That means the player is contacted by the female Split scientist and does the job for her. In the meantime Jonferco is building a highway in a different system with the help of or for a another race, corp etc. Due to an <insert random event here> Jonferco and the other race/corp also finds the sector with the strange installation. Now, as we know, no one likes to share new stuff and so we have a possible reason for a conflict and fight stuff.
As written here (see end of that post) text messages would be a simple way to inform the player about the happenings around Jonferco and the highway. However, it might be a bit more interesting, if Jonferco would actually build something somewhere, so the player can see the progress (not sure if it's worth the effort though). Let's say we take an unkown (maybe even a new) sector, where Jonferco starts the construction. This is of course big news in the whole universe. When the player enters the sector in question, he finds lots of Jonferco ships and maybe even the first part of the highway. Shortly after that, the actual player plot starts. Whenever the player has completed one set of missions (or a scene) of his plot, also the highway contruction continues. That means, while the player is OOS, another part of the highway is built. (The messages about this could be a bit delayed.) This goes on a few times until <insert random event here> and Jonferco finds a way to the sector of the strange space installation.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Yacek
x3tc

Post by Yacek » Tue, 9. Oct 12, 20:52

Killjaeden wrote:NPC racing through that course is impossible, end of story.
:?: "Gate Racing' in 4 mission plot X3 Reunion?
X3:AP 3.1+XRM 1.30d+MSP 1.7+LoCo 2.01+IR 2.0
Zapraszamy wszystkich chętnych na forum XUDB, gdzie znajdziesz FAQ, opisy skryptów, modów i fabuł, oraz Mamut HQ.
[ external image ]

dillpickle
x3tc

Post by dillpickle » Tue, 9. Oct 12, 21:04

X2-Illuminatus wrote:I think this would be a good point to use videos as additional narrative tool again.
I think videos are an excellent idea. A much better way to get relevant plot information across than relying on the current incoming messages/conversations/guesswork...

Cutscenes has some quite useful functions that can be utilized for filming.

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Tue, 9. Oct 12, 21:09

dillpickle wrote:Cutscenes has some quite useful functions that can be utilized for filming.
I agree. The cut scenes for ATF Outpost really made the immersion quite real for me. So the idea (at least in theory) is to capture some footage, edit it, and replay it to the player as a historical archive?

I know Ive mentioned it before, but the Ancient's 'Hall of Light' seems like an interesting candidate for that strange installation.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Tue, 9. Oct 12, 21:26

If some can be made, i'm all for it - obviously^^ But making videos will be very time consuming i think. cutscenes don't require several hundred mb's to download... just saying.
"Gate Racing' in 4 mission plot X3 Reunion?
That mission is not even close to the racetrack idea apart from having "race" in the name.
Last edited by Killjaeden on Tue, 9. Oct 12, 22:02, edited 3 times in total.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Tue, 9. Oct 12, 21:29

Videos make plots really come alive.

:thumb_up:

Question: Would it be easier to add voices to the sound associated with in-plot video than it is to add voices to interactive parts of the game? That might be a way to implement voice work without the usual pain of trying to add voice to game.
Last edited by DrBullwinkle on Tue, 9. Oct 12, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin714
x3tc

Post by Kevin714 » Tue, 9. Oct 12, 21:31

I would like to join.
I can do english-german translations
Gravaty cat not amused!

Der computer ist eine großartige Erfindung:
Es passieren genauso viele Fehler wie vorher, nur niemand ist daran schuld

Wer rechtschreibfehler findet darf sie behalten

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Tue, 9. Oct 12, 21:51

@X2's last post
- building a new race for it to be destroyed would be overkill. Stations, some ships... it's too much just for a video.

I think i wrote it in the chat already, but might have gotten lost:
How about having the split scientist work for Jonferco? The Highway technology seems to have been in a prototype state, maybe Jonferco picked it up research again to improve it before continuing with the build program. As part of this research you could do work for the scientist. At some point you have to test a new accelerator/ or engine - which leads to the mishap and brings you to the installation. This way we don't necessarily have to place more highways - the player experiences that they are worked on, which is sufficient.

Eldyranx mentioned something about the highway's and Jonferco's new drive - that it only works with M/AM technology or something like that (it's in the X encyc). We could say that it is the only efficient way with M/AM drives (instead of not working at all without it), so the player has to work together with Jonferco to develop this new drive. For that he has to ... spy on the terrans maybe/ steal blueprints from a research facility far out in space. Maybe even stealing a TOA? :D In disguise as someone else, so that terrans can't backtrack it to Jonferco + to allow both sides of AP (argon+terran) to play it.

The installation could be some huge communication array, a weapon of mass destruction (planetkiller?), a new power scource, some sort of beaming device at large scale. Having it Khaak or Xenon/AGI would make it easier for the modeller ... and doesn't need violation of canon by introducing new races.
Using videos, a planet could be destroyed if we have one that knows his way around movie special effect programs...
Question: Would it be easier to add voices to the sound associated with in-plot video than it is to add voices to interactive parts of the game? That might be a way to implement voice work without the usual pain of trying to add voice to game.
It is easy to play soundfiles via script... very easy. But playing a complete conversation would require too many files as each speach would be a seperate file. But an anouncement like "This is the governor. All ships are advised to evacuate the sector. Women and filthy rhich dudes first." are not a problem.
Last edited by Killjaeden on Wed, 10. Oct 12, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Woffin
x3tc

Post by Woffin » Wed, 10. Oct 12, 01:28

I would be more than happy to add to the catalogue of music. Would be nice to come back to add to the original X3:TC soundtrack I did from a few years ago ;)

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Wed, 10. Oct 12, 01:35

Wait... who... are you? :O

EDIT: Daniel Finney, I thought so.

Let me just say, your TC Terran tracks? They're f***ing beautiful. Like the Theme one. WOW.

EDIT2: GET ON THE THIS TEAM NOW! :D
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Wed, 10. Oct 12, 02:12

Killjaeden wrote:Eldyranx mentioned something about the highway's and Jonferco's new drive - that it only works with M/AM technology or something like that.
Just so everyone is on the same page I'll give a brief summary of that so our storytellers can blend it into the briefings if and when the time comes. If I put everyone to sleep again, I apologize *Hands Ketraar a pillow*

So engine technology between the Argons and Terrans diverged for several centuries. Terran perfected the Matter / Antimatter (M/AM) drives, which in most ways, were vastly superior to Commonwealth ones. We see this in game as Terran ships being overall faster than Commonwealth ones. Terrans developed Trans-Orbital-Acceleratiors (TOA) and used those instead of working more on Jump Gates because they feared another Terraformer attack.

These two technologies enabled very fast intra-system travel. When the Gate Network goes offline, only those systems in X:Rebirth that have either TOA's or Jonferco Highways will remain connected to each other. JonFerco, realizing the potential of the TOA, found a way to get information on their design. This is spelled out in H-19 of the X-Encyclopedia:

"Shortly before the Advanced Technology Embargo against Earth came into effect, JSDD had successfully concluded negotiations for a lucrative licence contract with a resident of Mars."

How they managed to weasel such important technology out of the hands of the Terrans right before the Advanced Technology Embargo (ATE) is a great matter for debate. Either way, the ATE, combined with Argon spying and the events involving AGI in X3TC, precipitate the Terran Conflict. Using the Terran M/AM drive as a base, Jonferco came out with a Bussard ramjet idea, as indicated in H7:

"Developed by the Jonferson Space Dynamics Division, the Jonferson engine is a highly optimized form of M/AM engine. It uses magnetic fields projected along the line of flight to capture interstellar hydrogen half of which is converted to anti-hydrogen using surplus energy from the M/AM reaction within the drive system itself."

If our storytellers needed a good excuse to have a prototype engine bring all types of mischief, I propose including some of the lore as outlined to give the player a sense that they are apart of history in the making.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 10. Oct 12, 02:26

@Woffin
Welcome back mate good to see you around again :-)
Sure looking forward to some great work from you, I am trying to come up with a 1-2 new sector "looks" that could do with some special atmo ;-)

@eldyranx3
Hehe, I never get sleepy from your (or anyone's) input, specially lore stuff I like a lot. That's why I like your post about the engines, its that kind of things that if integrated right make for good storys and those should lead to some good plots. :-)

MFG

Ketraar

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 10. Oct 12, 02:29

DrBullwinkle wrote:The Hovis race in Freelancer was a lot of fun.
That race was what made me throw Freelancer in the bin ! I couldnt win it with mouse controls, no matter what I did.

Sorry to those who like the idea, but I dont see any place in AP for a race. I got through the X2 race only by cheating in updates for the ship, and thought it a dumb idea for a mission then.

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Wed, 10. Oct 12, 02:54

apricotslice wrote:I got through the X2 race only by cheating in updates for the ship, and thought it a dumb idea for a mission then.
Then lets make the qualifying time for the next Act trigger be easy to get. Make the Arrow and Starburst prizes a bit more challenging. Add in a Steam Achievement for a truly impressive time.

Just because you or I didnt enjoy it, lets at least give the players something new to play with.

Umbru
x4

Post by Umbru » Wed, 10. Oct 12, 04:21

I think I like the idea of the TOA or highway prototype malfunction better than a experimental engine. Seem to fit better with the lore. Also the Split prototype ship can be explained by the alliance between the Split and Terran's that formed after the destruction of the Torus, the ship might be the split applying tech the Terran's shared with them (or they stole however you want to spin it)

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Wed, 10. Oct 12, 04:37

Ehm, I know I'm not on the team, neither do I have any modding experience, so since you all here are more qualified I probably shouldnt be giving "advices" but still - I got this idea from your corporation specialty thing (remember when you said BIO-MINERAL/WEAPON-SHIELD/TECH?), so basically I thought this:

what if your specialty was derived by your approach to a certain situation, which is:

imagine a bunch (2-3 or 4) newly settled sectors thought that they dont want to have anything to do with Terran/Argon war and that given how everyone is busy fighting each other they announced independence. Now these sectors are a great point of interest for corporations who want to expand into them and take most of the new market

there could be three interested parties (each representing BIO-MINERAL/WEAPON-SHIELD/TECH):

- NMMC - being a Teladi corporation they would want the player to help them expand into the sector using mercantile means -> that is establish stations, provide secondary goods, basically make the sectors highly dependent on NMMC, to secure their position there and maybe even secure a privileged position for them (TRADE)

- StrongArm -> as all split they value brute force above all, and will hire you to harass the inhabitants of the sectors (attack freighters on their borders, sabotage stations etc), until the sectors get so desperate that they will accepts StrongArms offer of "protection" and again as with NMMC to secure their position there and maybe even secure a privileged position for them (FIGHT)

- Atreus Ship-writes (or whatever they were called) -> Boron decided that if they could produce a better ship and offer it to independent sectors than maybe that (and also of course other peaceful actions that boost relations - taxies, ferrying goods,) would win the independents favor, so they want you to scan (or obtain blueprints of, depends how hard you want the plot to be) a variety of ships, escort/hire scientists/engineers and etc, basically you will help them produce a new ship that they will gift to the sectors (well and player too I guess :)) and thus secure their position there and maybe even secure a privileged position for them (THINK)

Rewards for the corresponding plots would be:

NMMC - corporation HQ (with mercantile (BIO-MINERAL) focus) and lots of credits

Strong Arm - corporation HQ (with ARMS/SHIELDS focus) and maybe an M2 or something

Atreus - new ship, corporate HQ (TECH focus) (I think the new ship thing fits Atreus the most since they are stated to be purely ship production corporation, but OTAS could be used instead of Atreus too I guess)

Now, of course this is a lot of work, but basically most of the missions could be just the generic ones and only a few custom? Example:

if player works for Strong Arm he gets lots of destroy convoy assassinate missions

if he joins NMMC -> station construction, deliver X goods and etc etc

P.S: after typing this all out I realized that this sounds as (and probably is) an awful lot of work :oops:, I just thought it fits with the whole "corporate struggle" theme of Rebirth

*hides under a table*

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Wed, 10. Oct 12, 06:56

Hey all,

I've been lurking for the last week or so, waiting and watching to see the direction the project would go in and there have been a lot of really good ideas but it seems like few decisions have been made. So I'm going to see if I can summarize for the purposes of clarification and consensus. If I've missed or misunderstood something please catch me up.

So, it seems the main plot will revolve around a new sector, complete with some sort of installation of unknown purpose, a female split scientist that may even have a new prototype Split corvette comparable in potency to the Hyperion Vanguard (which would absolutely rock!) and the possible incremental expansion of the accelerator highway. (Which in my opinion would be awesome. Tangible changes that are the result of what the player does always have a big impact on how I've experienced a game.) With the inclusion of an enemy race, likely the Xenon/terraformers, as an antagonist?

There is also the idea for the player becoming established as a competitive corporate entity. Personally I like this idea and think working on the plot for it could be a lot of fun. My first question, though, is who validates the player's corporation? Is it only the Teladi or can any race do it? Can the Yaki validate a player corporation? The reason I ask is that the story and consequently the missions given would be very different for the Yaki sponsoring the players corporation as opposed to the Argon government, or the Split, or the Boron or the Paranid (if the Paranid even do that kind of thing.) So is it to be just the one entity and the one plot or should there be multiple opportunities to establish the player as a corporation? Perhaps with different rewards depending on who the sponsoring race is? Which opens up the possibility of being sponsored by multiple races, perhaps even with the understanding that competitive races won't both sponsor the company. ie You can't get both an Argon stamp/reward and the Paranid stamp/reward.

Anyway, I'm still lurking. Thanks for humoring me.

Cheers
A Pirate's Story.pdf(KIA) by _Zap _ From Nothing.PDF(complete) by _Zap _ Prodigal Son(active) Original Thread, Prodigal Son_PDF

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”