X2 Requirements

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 1. Dec 02, 14:44

Danfin wrote:My PC is 256MB Ram, 550Mhz, 35GB free space on C:\ but no graphics or sound cards..just the inbuilt that comes with a pentium three....would X2 be able to run on my PC??? :?

Danfin
I'm sure it'll run, but whether it runs WELL is another matter. It would help if you actually identified what graphics and sound hardware you have (you can find this out in Windows Device Manager)--if it's something like an Intel i810 setup then it sucks mightily for games.

Woffin
x3tc

Post by Woffin » Sun, 1. Dec 02, 15:00

I already went to the device manager, but there were loads of menus and I dont wanna mess up the PC. Which parts of device manager do I go to find all this out?

sMull
x4

Post by sMull » Sun, 1. Dec 02, 15:23

Inimbrium wrote:He's right mate...... Perhaps a GF4 Ti, or the new Radeons (9000/9500/9700PRO).
Forget about the Radeon 9000. Its on par with the MX lines of cards. The 9500 Pro compares with TI4600 maybe even faster. Im good, got the TI4200 so if i play UT2K3 @ 1024x768 w/ full details and get an average of about 60 fps, i think ill be good with X2 so will anyone with that kind of setup.

cappedup
x4

Post by cappedup » Sun, 1. Dec 02, 17:01

Dutchman wrote:
cappedup wrote:
Dutchman wrote:Not that I'm not going to buy X2 anyway :)

Dutchman
Go on tell us why, master..!!
Sorry for the clumsy english cappedup, The_Abyss was right.
I meant that I am going to buy X2 no matter what, X2 rocks.
Oops missed the secont 'not'...

On the performance front, if i for instance had a rubbish card but tons of ram would game performance increase or is the crap card always going to be the weakest link..??

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm - Winston Churchill

chrishillproduction.com

James*

Post by James* » Sun, 1. Dec 02, 18:54

I said my processor was 2200+ (1.8GHz), I know I have the lower end of the GF4 card but Iam sure I will be able to run X2 without problems, if it doesn't run properly then I think Egosoft have made it too big! :shock:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 1. Dec 02, 19:50

Danfin wrote:I already went to the device manager, but there were loads of menus and I dont wanna mess up the PC. Which parts of device manager do I go to find all this out?
Device Manager has a list of device types down the left hand side--if you click the + next to "display adapters" it'll list all the ones you have in your machine. (Note that you really can't do much damage in Device Manager unless you're daft enough to delete an entry, and I doubt you're that daft--are you?).

Wargod.
x3tc

Post by Wargod. » Sun, 1. Dec 02, 19:57

Humm, I've got a P3 555, a Radeon Evil Wizard 64 MBI think I"ve got 194 MB of memeory. So, will it work? :?: :?: :?:

-Wargod :lol:

Inimbrium
x3tc

Post by Inimbrium » Mon, 2. Dec 02, 17:25

cappedup wrote:
Dutchman wrote:
cappedup wrote:

Dutchman

On the performance front, if i for instance had a rubbish card but tons of ram would game performance increase or is the crap card always going to be the weakest link..??
You can put all the RAM you want on it. Once you get to 512MB it will level out. And even if you upgrade from 128MB to 512MB the chances are that it won't improove the framerate (graphics speed) of the game by much. I have 386 MB of PC133 SDRAM, and I am not thinking of ever upgrading it, until I get a new CPU and new faster RAM (DDR 400 or whatever will be out then).

The graphics card is always the weakest link in a computer when you consider games. The CPU is a close second. RAM is kinda far down.

Another thing that most people don't know that will affect your framerate is your sound card. :o Yep. Why? Because if it's a cheap one, then it will use CPU power to emulate the sound effects, and thus slowing the PC down by as much as 30 fps. A good example is Unreal tournament 2003. Enable the framerate counter and experiment with hardware sound enabled and without. Much faster without, if you got a lame sound card and lame drivers.

Drivers is another major factor, especially with new cards, such as my one and the other new Radeons.
I got Direct X 9 beta and DX9 compatible Radeon drivers, not much difference in 3d Mark, infact 100 points less (6850), but the DX9 grahpics demos are perfectly smooth. Almost no CPU usage there at all.

I have my AMD Athlon Thunderbird (200 FSB) CPU overclocked from 1.0 GHz to 1.1 GHz and I 400 more points in 3D Mark (6950 as opposed to 6550). I took my 9700 PRO to a mate's house, shoved it in his 1.4 Thunderbird and without any tweaking whatsoever he for 10100 points lol). I have the Hercules Radeon 9700 Pro overclocked from: 325 MHz Core / 620 MHz RAM to 331 Core / 648 MHz RAM at an increase of 100 points or so. So befire overclocking both my graphics card and CPU I got 6480 points in 3D Mark or so. Quite a healthy performance increase with normal cooling.

Warning! Don't overclock unless you know what you are doing or you can permanently damage (fry / break / annihilate) your hardware.

PS. Quote in a quote in a quote in a quote. :)

Woffin
x3tc

Post by Woffin » Mon, 2. Dec 02, 20:48

Just found out and I have adisplay adaptor "Intel[R] 810 Chipset Graphics Driver PV 2.1" and also "SoundMAX Intergrated Digital Audio" for sound. My system spec is Pent3, 550mhz, 256 MB Ram, about 35GB free and 1280 by 1024 screen.

How about this?
Danfin

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 2. Dec 02, 22:32

Danfin wrote:Just found out and I have adisplay adaptor "Intel[R] 810 Chipset Graphics Driver PV 2.1" and also "SoundMAX Intergrated Digital Audio" for sound. My system spec is Pent3, 550mhz, 256 MB Ram, about 35GB free and 1280 by 1024 screen.

How about this?
Danfin
Well, no offence, but like I said, the Intel 810 sucks big time. Not only is the 3D performance of the chipset really bad--it's three years old now, and it wasn't a stellar performer even in its day--but it also shares some of your computer's main memory, which means there's less memory bandwidth available for running the game. This isn't to say you won't be able to run X2 at all, but you're going to have to turn all the detail off in order to get playable framerates out of it.

If you can afford it (or can generate enough leverage on your parents :-)) then I'd upgrade ASAP.

Woffin
x3tc

Post by Woffin » Mon, 2. Dec 02, 23:34

Okay, I've been after a graphics card for years now.....will add it to my christams list for next year :wink:

~Lonowski~
x3

Post by ~Lonowski~ » Mon, 2. Dec 02, 23:37

Inimbrium wrote:
cappedup wrote:
Dutchman wrote:
cappedup wrote:

Dutchman

You can put all the RAM you want on it. Once you get to 512MB it will level out. And even if you upgrade from 128MB to 512MB the chances are that it won't improove the framerate (graphics speed) of the game by much. I have 386 MB of PC133 SDRAM, and I am not thinking of ever upgrading it, until I get a new CPU and new faster RAM (DDR 400 or whatever will be out then).

The graphics card is always the weakest link in a computer when you consider games. The CPU is a close second. RAM is kinda far down.

Another thing that most people don't know that will affect your framerate is your sound card. :o Yep. Why? Because if it's a cheap one, then it will use CPU power to emulate the sound effects, and thus slowing the PC down by as much as 30 fps. A good example is Unreal tournament 2003. Enable the framerate counter and experiment with hardware sound enabled and without. Much faster without, if you got a lame sound card and lame drivers.

Drivers is another major factor, especially with new cards, such as my one and the other new Radeons.
I got Direct X 9 beta and DX9 compatible Radeon drivers, not much difference in 3d Mark, infact 100 points less (6850), but the DX9 grahpics demos are perfectly smooth. Almost no CPU usage there at all.

I have my AMD Athlon Thunderbird (200 FSB) CPU overclocked from 1.0 GHz to 1.1 GHz and I 400 more points in 3D Mark (6950 as opposed to 6550). I took my 9700 PRO to a mate's house, shoved it in his 1.4 Thunderbird and without any tweaking whatsoever he for 10100 points lol). I have the Hercules Radeon 9700 Pro overclocked from: 325 MHz Core / 620 MHz RAM to 331 Core / 648 MHz RAM at an increase of 100 points or so. So befire overclocking both my graphics card and CPU I got 6480 points in 3D Mark or so. Quite a healthy performance increase with normal cooling.

Warning! Don't overclock unless you know what you are doing or you can permanently damage (fry / break / annihilate) your hardware.

sorry, i really just wanted to see how many of these qoutes could fit in a box!!! :lol:
:paranid:~Lonowski~

Woffin
x3tc

Post by Woffin » Tue, 3. Dec 02, 00:15

Someone will always beat that bye quoting YOUR post aswell :lol: it never ends!!! :o

The_Rock
x2

Post by The_Rock » Tue, 3. Dec 02, 00:42

Danfin wrote:Thanks Juniper, I just need to convince my Dad that I will die if I dont get this card and get it working.....wish me look, :P .

Best Regards
Danfin
good luck mate :)

It's gonna be a few months anyway before X2 gets released so you've got sometime to save up. :)
"How very touching his meaningless death was. But this fight was never for mortals".

Inimbrium
x3tc

Post by Inimbrium » Tue, 3. Dec 02, 02:44

lonowski wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
cappedup wrote:
Dutchman wrote:
cappedup wrote:

Dutchman

sorry, i really just wanted to see how many of these qoutes could fit in a box!!! :lol:
Have you nothing better to do? :roll: :wink:

Can you still get good PCI graphics cards? lol
Dafin, I hope I don't cause trouble at home, but you need a new PC. :twisted: If you somehow manage to convince your dad, you can always ask us for advince on which one. :idea:

~Lonowski~
x3

Post by ~Lonowski~ » Tue, 3. Dec 02, 02:50

Inimbrium wrote:
lonowski wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
cappedup wrote:
Dutchman wrote:
cappedup wrote:

Dutchman

Dafin, I hope I don't cause trouble at home, but you need a new PC. :twisted: If you somehow manage to convince your dad, you can always ask us for advince on which one. :idea:
nope :D

Inimbrium
x3tc

Post by Inimbrium » Tue, 3. Dec 02, 02:54

lonowski wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
lonowski wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
cappedup wrote:
Dutchman wrote:
cappedup wrote:

Dutchman

I've always been curious about what that thing is at the bottom of your posts. That Userstats thing.

The_Rock
x2

Post by The_Rock » Tue, 3. Dec 02, 02:55

Inimbrium wrote:
lonowski wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
lonowski wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
cappedup wrote:
Dutchman wrote:
cappedup wrote:

Dutchman

I've always been curious about what that thing is at the bottom of your posts. That Userstats thing.
someone's about to tell you oh fella Brummie dude. :)
"How very touching his meaningless death was. But this fight was never for mortals".

~Lonowski~
x3

Post by ~Lonowski~ » Tue, 3. Dec 02, 03:02

The Rock wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
lonowski wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
lonowski wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
cappedup wrote:
Dutchman wrote:
cappedup wrote:

Dutchman

see here= http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1148

:wink:

Inimbrium
x3tc

Post by Inimbrium » Tue, 3. Dec 02, 03:02

The Rock wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
lonowski wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
lonowski wrote:
Inimbrium wrote:
cappedup wrote:
Dutchman wrote:
cappedup wrote:

Dutchman

Isn't it something to do with UD (United Devices)? I do that cancer thing if it is.

I wonder how long we can keep quoting until one of the moderators tells us off or closes the topic :lol: ! I'm up for freedom of speech. :roll:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”