Bowling for columbine - not screening in a cinema near you.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Chimpster2000
x3

Bowling for columbine - not screening in a cinema near you.

Post by Chimpster2000 » Wed, 13. Nov 02, 18:37

I realise it isn't exactly a blockbuster but I cant find a cinema screening it anywhere (its out friday). I live in the Bristol area - if anyone knows a nearby cinema showing it, let me know! :D
"Life is like a hot bath, the longer you stay in it, the more wrinkly you get."

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Wed, 13. Nov 02, 18:43

That is the whole point of multiplexes: 10 screens, 7 of them showing HarryPotter, 1 showing Big Fat Greek wedding, and 2 showing Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood.

I wouldn't have seen that in the cinema anyway, would have waited for video for that one.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

Brody
x3

Post by Brody » Wed, 13. Nov 02, 18:59

I can't tell you where to find it in Bristol, but I can say that the film is worth seeing (if you do happen to find it). To be honest, I'm surprised to hear that it's over there (in the UK) to begin with.

Brody

Sarcasm
x3ap

Post by Sarcasm » Wed, 13. Nov 02, 19:23

Michael Moore has quite a following over here, as film and TV maker and for his books. I wonder if he may even be more highly regarded in the UK than the US.

It's coming to Oxford's Phoenix Picture House from Friday, should anyone be within reach of Oxford and interested. But the Picture House chain doesn't seem to have a cinema anywhere near Bristol (see www.picture-house.cinemas.co.uk for the list). I see that http://www.reeltime-cinemas.co.uk/ lists "Bowling..." on their Coming Soon page, but it's not on at any of their cinemas (Bristol or anywhere else) next week.

Brody
x3

Post by Brody » Wed, 13. Nov 02, 19:51

His film is doing well over here, but it seems that fewer Americans agree with his politics these days. I met him recently and he was extremely cool and gracious.

I'm glad that he has a following in the UK. I guess I'm a little surprised because he often deals with issues that are very American-specific. For example, in Roger and Me he focused primarily on the autmobile manufacturing industry in Flint, Michigan. However, his themes (corporate greed, corporate liability, etc...) are certainly universal.

I hope you find the film near you. I think you'll enjoy it. :)

Brody

Chimpster2000
x3

Post by Chimpster2000 » Wed, 13. Nov 02, 21:53

I loved the Alwful truth when it was on over here (not anymore :() and when he goes on question time over here it livens things up :)

Damn Harry Potter (again), blinking muppet child.
"Life is like a hot bath, the longer you stay in it, the more wrinkly you get."

Sarcasm
x3ap

Post by Sarcasm » Wed, 13. Nov 02, 21:57

Brody wrote:I'm glad that he has a following in the UK. I guess I'm a little surprised because he often deals with issues that are very American-specific. For example, in Roger and Me he focused primarily on the autmobile manufacturing industry in Flint, Michigan. However, his themes (corporate greed, corporate liability, etc...) are certainly universal.
Exactly! Also, the thing is, American culture (including corporate culture and gun culture) has a real fascination for a lot of us in the UK, but it's often a sort of appalled fascination, partly because we have this dread that anything terrible that happens in the States will happen here a few years down the road. And it's comforting to realise that there are plenty of American commentators who are...well, sane and moderate basically. Plus, Moore is a really, really funny man. I've seen a few clips from the new film, and I must say that the revelation is Marilyn Manson, who's amazingly articulate and sensible.

silentWitness
x3tc

Post by silentWitness » Wed, 13. Nov 02, 22:08

90% of films never see the light of day!!! be thankful if you ever se it!

Brody
x3

Post by Brody » Wed, 13. Nov 02, 22:10

Sarcasm wrote:
Brody wrote:I'm glad that he has a following in the UK. I guess I'm a little surprised because he often deals with issues that are very American-specific. For example, in Roger and Me he focused primarily on the autmobile manufacturing industry in Flint, Michigan. However, his themes (corporate greed, corporate liability, etc...) are certainly universal.
Exactly! Also, the thing is, American culture (including corporate culture and gun culture) has a real fascination for a lot of us in the UK, but it's often a sort of appalled fascination, partly because we have this dread that anything terrible that happens in the States will happen here a few years down the road. And it's comforting to realise that there are plenty of American commentators who are...well, sane and moderate basically. Plus, Moore is a really, really funny man. I've seen a few clips from the new film, and I must say that the revelation is Marilyn Manson, who's amazingly articulate and sensible.
Very good points. Well put.

Brody

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”